Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

222 Posts

August 29th, 2018 04:00

R730 Drive Bad sector

Hi,

We have a one year old Dell R730 with only 8 disks, today I find out that one of the virtaul disks in a RAID 0 showing This,

The Virtual Disk has bad blocks. For more details, see the Virtual Disk Bad Block Management section in the Online Help

I dont understand how one year old server has a problem with a disk.

How can we clear this bad sector? can I just go to the OMA console to the virtaul drive and use the option "Clear Virtaul disk Bad sectors" if we do so, will we lossing data on this drive?

Thanks 

• 

8.4K Posts

August 29th, 2018 07:00

MrShahin,

The issue with clearing it is the fact it is on a Raid 0, and as you can see here, a Raid 0's lack of redundancy doesn't allow the controller to remap and clear the bad block.

So the only real option would be to perform a raid level migration to a Raid 1 and then resolve. 

222 Posts

August 30th, 2018 04:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply,

I understand what you mean, question remaing is what should we do with this drive? should we replace it? or we can isolate the bad sectors?

• 

8.4K Posts

August 31st, 2018 13:00

You could try adding a drive via Raid Level Migration, as seen here, then clear the bad blocks, then migrate to a Raid 0. I would verify there is a backup beforehand, as there is no guarantee that the bad blocks won't migrate to the other drive. You may need to backup the data, then delete and recreate the virtual disk and restore.  

222 Posts

September 3rd, 2018 06:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks as Always for your reply,

I believe the RAID migration need iDRAC, but unfortunatly our server has only iDRAC express and this server has No empty slot to add a extra drive to this server to copy the data to this drive

The drive currently showing online, what would be your suggestion in our case?

Thanks

• 

8.4K Posts

September 4th, 2018 08:00

The only reason for needing the iDrac Enterprise is if you were intending to do this remotely, like from offsite. If you are local to the server then you wouldn't need to use the iDrac.

222 Posts

September 5th, 2018 00:00

Hi Chris,

But still I need extra hard drive drives right? as I said there is no free slot to add more drive to this server, this R730 is the  delivered only with 8 Drives.

• 

8.4K Posts

September 6th, 2018 06:00

Then the only option would be to do the backup and then try clearing the bad blocks, if, and when that fails then it will likely require you to delete and reconfigure the Virtual Disk. Can you confirm if any of the drives are flashing amber and green, or showing as a Predicted Failure?

222 Posts

September 7th, 2018 07:00

Hi Chris,

The server is in a datacenter, I will plan a visit and let you know if we see any flashing lights 

Thanks

222 Posts

September 28th, 2018 05:00

Hi Chris,

Yesterday I went to Datacenter and check the server and none of the drives has a flashing amber light and all of the drives have green light.

Thanks

• 

8.4K Posts

October 1st, 2018 05:00

With the drives green and the Virtual Disk Optimal, you can preemptively replace the drive, but it isn't necessary just yet. you can wait until the drive is actually flagged as a Predicted Failure, and then replace it. 

222 Posts

October 1st, 2018 05:00

Hi Chris,

Any update on my reply?

Thanks

222 Posts

October 2nd, 2018 03:00

Thank you Chris as Always for you time,

To replace the drive we did backup the drive. should we just remove the drive and put a new one in its place? or after removing the faulty drive we also must remove the virutal drive that useing this faulty drive?

Thanks

6 Posts

December 10th, 2021 08:00

Hi there,

Your idea can be applied to small data. My case, I had 52TB data located on disk group of RAID 5 which had bad block and I do not have space to backup the data. I Could not identify which disk had bad block even I utilized the OpenManage Server Administrator. The Data I wanted was located on the bad block. So, it was no way for me to retrieve that data. I decided to recreate the VD and performed Check Consistency then the issue of bad block was cleared. After 1 week, the VD has bad block again. This server is PE R730xd with PERC H730p mini. all its firmware was updated. the capacity of each disk is 8TB x7disks.

I am interesting  how to identify a disk with bad block in the VD disks group. comment?

Thanks

TT

No Events found!