Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2018 10:00

c1100 bios upgrade is incompatible with c1100

Have several Dell c1100 PowerEdge 1U servers that need to have the latest BIOS installed to patch Metldown Specter vulnerability.  I used the service tag number to find the correct BIOS and used the Linux .bin file.  It runs, identifies the server as a c1100, then says that it's not compatible with a c1100.  Screenshot below:

c1100 bios not compatible with c1100c1100 bios not compatible with c1100

Anyone have ideas?  

Thank You!

didj9k

3 Posts

September 26th, 2018 16:00

Solution found!

I was able to get the BIOS updated! Since you confirmed it was a "standard" c1100 and, I thought I would to ignore the error and push the BIOS upgrade without the "file ID" check.

I downloaded the DOS image BIOS image, unzipped it and copied the files to a FreeDOS bootable USB, then edited the F.bat file to ignore the file ID by adding /X to the end of the line:

Spoiler
Note, this could brick the server if the wrong BIOS is used!
Note, this could brick the server if the wrong BIOS is used!

#F.bat Original

Afudos S99C3B25.ROM /P /B /K

#Add /X to ignore File ID mismatch error

Afudos S99C3B25.ROM /P /B /K /X

It successfully pushed the new BIOS and successfully rebooted after with the updated BIOS.  Thanks for pointing me to the DOS "floppy" patch method!

-Didj

• 

6.2K Posts

September 25th, 2018 12:00

Hello

I would try the DOS bootable version. If you encounter the same issue then you may not have a normal C1100. Check the order to see if it is a DCS or OEM version. If you can't find that information then send a private message with the service tag and I can check.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

September 25th, 2018 15:00

I show that you have a C1100 Mid-Life Kicker, so you have an updated version that may support newer hardware than the original. It uses the same BIOS as the normal C1100, so the issue is not that you have a non-standard version of the C1100.

The DOS version is on several of the download pages. It is listed as floppy. The installation instructions are at the bottom of the download page. If this version still will not update then look under other versions. Try stepping to something else if there is an update between this one and where you are currently.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=FF4RH

3 Posts

September 25th, 2018 16:00

I tried using a Free DOS boot USB with the DOS BIOS upgrade and got a similar error:

"File ROM ID incorrect" 

Will check if I can do a stepped upgrade.

No Events found!