Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

2 Posts

March 17th, 2019 17:00

updating outdated R710

Hi, I have this used R710 and on first boot I noticed that this machine has hardly ever had any updates. Bios=1.2.6 Idrac=1.10.13 For now there is no OS installed on the system. How do I go about from here upgrading this machine? I am new at this, and I presume if I go about and update all tot the latest I could break some things. Been reading of people struggling if updates are to far out.. What is the safest route to take, and con somebody point me out some good guides on how to do this?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 17th, 2019 18:00

Hundreds, maybe thousands of firmware updates and I've never had a bad one, including jumping from very old to very new versions. I used to tell people to jump to the next critical update … if you want to go a "safer" route (note the quotes).

Doing them using the LCC or Server Updates ISO as a repository is harder to set up, but it will update everything in one step. I would probably just put Windows Server and install the updates from there.

2.9K Posts

March 18th, 2019 09:00

The bootable firmware update .ISO is normally what I recommend. You can locate it here: https://dell.app.box.com/v/bootabler710/folder/60646213395

However, with the iDRAC being as far back as it is, you may need to update it a few times to make sure that the packages install without issue. The easiest way to do this would be to update through the iDRAC. You can find the steps in this reference video starting at around 3:55.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qh2_ZFTMho

It looks like the oldest firmware revision available for the iDRAC is 1.85, so starting there would probably be for the best. After updating to that, I'd update to 1.99, and then finally bring it to current with 2.91. I'd try the utility upon completion.

The "textbook" answer is to run each update individually, but I generally make ~3 jumps on a system that is out of date, as opposed to running every package.

March 22nd, 2019 01:00

Great!
Thanks for the info,
and sorry I couldn't get back to you earlier,... (life...),...
Just to be sure,... 

You are saying that I have to do the idrac prior to doing the bios; Am I right?

Kind regards

2.9K Posts

March 25th, 2019 10:00

I would. The iDRAC revision you're running is really old. There is a possibility for that to cause updates not to run, so it's probably easier to just avoid that chance.

81 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 09:00

In a previous support call I was advised that the three critical components are iDRAC, Lifecycle Controller and BIOS. When one is updated from a very old version the others need to be also. iDRAC first, then Lifecycle, then BIOS.

Get these to current revisions first, then update everything else.

Whilst I agree with the update DVD answer you may well find as I have on many occasions that when the above components are on very old versions the update DVD window will sit on 99% or 100% for a very long time, sometimes several days. So I would recommend downloading the appropriate individual updates from the Dell support site for these three components then use the update DVD afterwards.

No Events found!