Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

6 Posts

March 17th, 2021 03:00

Persistent net-snmp-config SNMP v3

Hi, 

After adding an SNMP v3 user at the RecoverPoint CLI using the below command example, any subsequent reboots of the host cause the config to be lost. Is anyone aware of configuration that is required to make this persistent in the even of a reboot please?

net-snmp-config --create-snmpv3-user -a auth_pass(SHA) -x priv_pass(AES) -X AES -A SHA v3_username

Many thanks

Dave

• 

6.9K Posts

March 17th, 2021 16:00

Hello DaveRamsey,

Are you trying to use secure mode in the snmp agent?  Which version of RP are you using?

September 8th, 2021 07:00

Hi DELL-Sam L, thanks for the reply and apologies for the massively delayed response. This is still an issue so I'll answer your questions and hopefully you are still around!

Our current version of RecoverPoint is 5.3.1.1 (an upgrade is planned to the latest version).

Regarding secure mode in SNMP, I don't know whether I'm using secure mode or not or how I would check this. 
I've simply configured SNMP v3 using the following command as root and CLI on each RP appliance:
net-snmp-config --create-snmpv3-user -a auth_pass -x priv_pass -X AES -A SHA v3_username

It works ok and enabled me to be able to poll all cluster members, but after any reboot, SNMP stops working and requires this config to be re-added (along with SNMP being stopped and started).

Many thanks

Dave

• 

6.9K Posts

September 8th, 2021 14:00

Hello DaveRamsey,

Here is a link to the security guide and I would double check your settings for SNMP as stated in the guide. https://dell.to/38UD8vP

September 9th, 2021 07:00

Hi DELL-Sam L

The security settings that this document describe, appear to be part of a management GUI that my team and I have no idea how to access. There doesn't appear to be mention in the document either about how to access it.

Part of the document mention 'RecoverPoint Installation Manager', but again, I have no idea what this is and have never access it as far as I'm aware. 

Could you please describe how this can be accessed? Is it a cluster management GUI, single RP GUI, or something else?

I've just included an excerpt from the guide which talks about SNMP below for reference as to what I'm talking about.

Many thanks

Dave

Secure administration when directly accessing a vRPA
When accessing a vRPA directly (not through the RecoverPoint for VMs plug-in in the vSphere client), the following features
and limitations are relevant to secure administration.
SNMP security
RecoverPoint for VMs supports encryption of the SNMP protocol, including the following features:
● SNMP with Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) support in the User-based Security Model.
● Ability to disable SNMPv1/v2 community strings.
● HTTPS web certificate will also service SNMP Transport Layer Security port.
Limitations
● Certificate Revocation Lists (CRLs) and Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) are not supported.
● Secure Shell (SSH) transport is not supported for SNMP.
● MD5 based password hashes and DES-based privacy are not supported.
SNMP behavior
If Agent enabled is checked, hosts will be able to initiate SNMP queries to the RecoverPoint for VMs SNMP agent; and
RecoverPoint for VMs system SNMP traps (event notification) will be enabled.
If Send Event Traps is enabled, the RecoverPoint for VMs system will send RecoverPoint for VMs system SNMP notifications
to the specified location.
For optimal security, when defining SNMPv3 users, specify a user certificate and do not specify a password. The certificate file
can contain more than one certificate; select one. All certificates in the file are equally valid.

• 

6.9K Posts

September 9th, 2021 08:00

Hello DaveRamsey,

Here is a link on how you can access the gui. https://dell.to/3npANBg

September 10th, 2021 02:00

Hi DELL-Sam L

As per the below from the download page, it appears that this utility is not applicable to newer versions of RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines.
I've looked for newer versions but there doesn't appear to be one unless I missed it somehow.

Can this version be used for RP 5.3.1.1?

Thanks

Dave

RPClassicUI Utility
Tools & Utilities 30 Sep 2020

Version

5.1 SP2 P1, 5.1 SP3 P1, 5.1 SP4

File Name

RPClassicUI_Utility.zip

Checksum Values

File size

75 MB

Description

The RPClassicUI utility enables RecoverPoint Classic 5.1.2 and later customers to keep accessing the Unisphere for RecoverPoint UI even after Flash deprecation, providing the same interface and capabilities.

• 

6.9K Posts

September 10th, 2021 10:00

Hello DaveRamsey,

You can use the tool with the newer version of RP.  Since java is not available this is the way to access gui of RP.

675 Posts

September 14th, 2021 02:00

First, installation manager is the boxmgmt CLI. Second, the RPClassicUI is for classic RP to WA the issue of flash being blocked by browsers. in RP4VMs, the H5 plugin can be used (available with 5.3 and later).

September 28th, 2021 02:00

Hi, my apologies if I've missed something obvious from your responses, but the tool that you mention, RPClassicUI, simply seems to be a conduit to the GUI that I'm able to access vai the browser, and doens't give me any further settings to configure SNMP.

tempsnip.png

1 Message

October 4th, 2021 08:00

Hi !

You must put the address of the vcenter (supposing this vCenter support flex plugins) when ask for RP IP address and go to the menu of the RP4VM on the flash version.

Dani

October 6th, 2021 00:00

Hi Dani, thanks for the response. 

When I try using the vCenter address, I get the below message. I presume this is an indication that something isn't supported, possibly the flex plugin as you suggest?

The following Dell KB article does suggest that flex plugin support was removed in my version (6.7)
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-uk/000180750/recoverpoint-for-vms-flash-flex-plugin-removed-from-vsphere-following-a-vc-upgrade-to-6-7-u3l

Without using this plugin, do you know of any other way that I can configure SNMP correctly?

DaveRamsey_0-1633506481660.png

Many thanks again

No Events found!