Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 11th, 2018 12:00

RP migration from VMAX to VPlex/VMAX3

Hi,

IHAC who has existing RP 4.1.1. (will be upgraded to 4.4.1 later)

Existing Source: VMAX40K , Existing Target: VMAX40K

At target side, they are replacing VMAX40K with Vmax3 AFA. Due to backup application requirement, they need to use VPlex splitter instead of VMAX3 splitter directly.

During this transition, all CGs will be torn down and regrouped.

In the new configuration, customer just wants to put replicas on Vplex, the RP journal and repository will stay on VMAX3 AFA.

to avoid reconfigure everything, I am thinking of follow the KB 303715 : RecoverPoint: Non-disruptive migration of Repository Volume.

https://support.emc.com/kb/303715.

But I got a couple of questions:

- when do I remove VMAX40K splitter and add vplex splitter & certificate. Can I do that either before or after the steps listed in the KB?

- is there anything special if the repository/journal vols are not through Vplex?

- Do I need to worry about re-applying license during this process?

- If there is firewall preventing Vplex/RP to import certificate, can we still go ahead with CG configuration?

Thanks in advance!

David

675 Posts

January 11th, 2018 14:00

Hi David,

First, I would say that in order to leverage VMAX3/AF - for prod/replica as well as repository/journal location, RP 5.1 and later must be used. I would recommend to leverage 5.1P1 for that and Hypermax 5977.1125.1125 (with fix 94389) or later.

Second, the size of the production and replica volume (on VMAX3/AF) must match to the latter.

To answer your question though:

1) The repository migration procedure is independent and doesn't really rely on these operations. From an organization PoV, I would recommend to perform the repository migration procedure as the last step, after all migrations are done

2) No, the advantage of encapsulating journal and repository volumes into VPLEX is non-disruptive data migration, The downside is impact on VPLEX due to the additional load.

3) The journals and repository don't consume any licensed capacity. we would need to license you're new target array.

4) Yes and the certificate can be imported manually if there's an issue for RP to retrieve it.

Hope that helps,

Idan Kentor

RecoverPoint Corporate Systems Engineering

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

January 11th, 2018 15:00

Thanks a lot Idan.

The reason we can't use RP 5.1 is because customer is using Networker Meditech module which only supports up to 4.4.1. So we are not using Vmax3 AFA splitter. we use Vplex splitter instead..  Vmax3 AFA is just an external storage to store the journal and repo. Do we still need RP 5.1 in that case?

675 Posts

January 11th, 2018 16:00

A minimum of RP 5.0.1 for journals and repository on VMAX3/AF but it would be recommended to run 5.1.x (5.1P1 being the target) which is also capable of running our snap-based replication to/from VMAX 3/AF volumes.

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

January 12th, 2018 09:00

Thanks Idan. Is there a tech white paper available so I can share it with the customer?

I am a little surprised though, as for RP, VMAX3 AF is just an external storage in this case, much like a window host accessing storage, is it not?  Are there special settings between RP and external array when it comes to Repo and Jvol?   Thanks.

If that's the case, we should move all the Repo and Jvol to Vplex as well, right? that's way we can still use 4.1.1. or 4.4.1, right? I checked ESSM they both work with Vplex 6.x.

675 Posts

January 14th, 2018 00:00

Hi David,

I would refer to the RP & VMAX3 TN available on support.emc.com.

It's not just like any host accessing storage as there are other implications like multipathing scheme, differentiation from VMAX2 in terms of tagging and more.

And yes, if you're using VPLEX Splitter, RP would support any storage VPLEX supports per its ESSM.

Regards,

Idan

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

January 16th, 2018 08:00

Thanks a lot Idan. Appreciate your help.

No Events found!