Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2008 06:00

Recover Point as DR

hey guys
whats the advantage of RecoverPoint as DR solution over MirrorView ?? ( primary and secondary sites have CX3-10)
ive read some papers -from powerlink- about RP and i cant understand the adv of rp

257 Posts

December 12th, 2008 08:00

Hey there

While both are excellent products when dealing with WANs and providing DR, Recoverpoint's main advantages stand as the following

Replication over WAN IP and soon FC.
WAN Bandwidth reduction through data compression
Ability to rollback your data to any async point in time for the length of your protection window.
Ability to provide both local and remote protection for the same source volumes.

Let me know if you would to know more.
James.

2.2K Posts

December 12th, 2008 11:00

I have been using RP for about a year and a half now using the Cisco SANTap splitter. I would say the advantages of RP over MV are:

- Storage Array Independence: we are replication storage from DMX and CLARiiON arrays
- Crash consistency across LUN and Consistency Groups
- Application consistency when used with Replication Manager
- Very efficient WAN utilization with many options to control replication compression and throughput
- Bookmark creation for multiple points in time recovery options
- Easy DR testing by mounting replica at remote site

2.2K Posts

December 12th, 2008 13:00

Why do you think it will require more write load on the SP? Are you referring to the CLARiiON splitter?

Actually I went with RP because it would make my choice and maintenance of storage arrays less complicated :D Since we have been using RecoverPoint I have moved some of our primary production databases from CLARiiON to DMX and the reconfiguration of RP was simple and we had replication back online shortly after the move to the new array.

But if you only have a single CLARiION, the increased complexity in your SAN infrastructure is probably not worth it. Although I would still prefer the array based splitter to M/V. More options and granularity of control.

265 Posts

December 12th, 2008 13:00

thanks James
thanks AranH
i feel that RPA will add more write load on SPs ??? am i right ??????

, i dont know why but i dont like RP , need special hardware RPA , Splitter (special SAN switch or Array based splitter) ... its more complicate at least for me
i think am goin for MV/A and i will use snapshot to get multiple points in time recovery option

Message was edited by:
Mosa3lyan

265 Posts

December 13th, 2008 00:00

coz i didnt use RP B4 , and i dont know anything about it ; so i feel its more complicated :) :-) while in fact its not
anyway thx
No Events found!