Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2008 09:00

Adding more ndoes to AutoStart Cluster

If there is a two node AutoStart cluster for Oracle on Solaris and we need to add a third node in the cluster, what all configuration needs to be done again?

157 Posts

June 4th, 2008 05:00

Regarding your first question, there should be just a small downtime so you can add the third node to the module configuration (as it has to be offline during that operation if my memory serves me right).
However I assumed that you will have a single oracle instance failing over between three nodes, but it seems that you want to have two oracle instances failing over to a single failover system?
I believe that it can be confgured, but I am not sure that you would be able to run them concurrently on the same node. I'm not an Oracle expert, I do know that you will be able to configure Autostart to handle it but the question is whether Oracle can do the same.

157 Posts

May 28th, 2008 00:00

Hello Anuj - You need to install the third node and add it to the existing domain, install Orcale and set it up to use the database on the shared volume, license the third node for the oracle module and finally add the third node to the Oracle module instance. I think that covers it...

2K Posts

May 28th, 2008 22:00

I agree with these steps. I was just concerned about two things:

What are the required downtimes for the existing members of the cluser + the members being added: I think it should be very small since it is only reconfiguring a module instance.

The bigger thing I need to understand is that is it possible for more than one active nodes to failover to a single passive node i.e. if initially I have a one-to-one cluster and then add a node to this cluster, would all three run of the same instance and if any one primary fails, it moves on to the secondary-what does the other primary do during this time OR is it that we create two instances and the secondary acts as secondary for individual instances for each primary.

2K Posts

June 4th, 2008 07:00

Thanks, I had a discussion with a pre sales person here and he mentioned we can have four or five instances on one server...provided server has enough resources to handle them.
No Events found!