Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2009 23:00

Maintenance of target/source server

Our setup is as follows:
We have a number of servers in remote offices running RepliStor 6.02 which replicate data to a central office target server where the files are backed up. The central office server also occasionally replicates to the remote servers to a separate Windows share in case there are any requests from remote offices for a restore of old data. We also have email alerts set up.

We want to do this:
The central office server needs to be shut down for many hours for some LAN room power maintenance. We'd like to halt the replication from the remote offices so that they save their ongoing changes until the central server is back online again and then process the backlog and continue as before. All this without a storm of email alerts or a loss of synchronization.

The procedure ?!:
I'm fairly new to RepliStor and reading the docs it would seem the best way to proceed is from the Functions drop down menu uncheck "Forwarding" on all the remote servers and then on the central server and then "Stop" it before shutting it down; the reverse of this for when it's back online.

Is this the correct procedure ? I'm not sure I understand the difference between "Site forwarding" and "forwarding" and when each should be used.

Thank you for any info or help.

KShea

157 Posts

February 6th, 2009 01:00

Hello KShea - yes, you got it right, that's how it should be done. Just make sure that your Replistor Data Directory is going to be able to store all those changes while the target server is unavailable, otherwise you will have to resync the specification.
Regarding the difference between Forwarding and Site Forwarding - Site Forwarding turns of the forwarding for the specific target only, not for all specifications on the source server. Additionally, it does not stop heartbeat signal like regular Forwarding does when turned off, but you may not have to care about this unless you have failover functionality set up within Replistor.

6 Posts

February 6th, 2009 10:00

Thank-you very for the info Tomislav, much appreciated.

Ah, ok I see now the difference. Then I am not concerned about the heartbeat since the target will be shut down.

Thanks again.

Ken
No Events found!