Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

November 17th, 2010 13:00

Replistor services logon as

Hi,

Does the two replistor services (Replistor Control Service & Replistor Server) need to log on as a domain account?  Or it can log on as Local System?  We had a consultant to help upgrade to version 6.4 and noticed the Replistor Server is log on as a domain account while the Replistor Control Service is log on as Local System.  Please advise.

106 Posts

Best practice is to have both the RepliStor Server Service and the RepliStor Control Service start with the local system account.

1 Attachment

43 Posts

Thanks for your answer!

Even if it is starting as Local System, it should still allow me to replicate between domain servers, right?

43 Posts

JS,

Thanks a lot for your insights!  In our previous version, 6.2, we used a domain account to log on as.  So it is good to know 6.4 no longer needs that.

Also, I think using a domain account in our previous version explained why the Replistor Server service would stop suddently and not starting back.  I think there was something wrong going on with the domain controller and maybe the service couldn't authenticate, thus just stopping suddently and requires a manual start.

106 Posts

Yes, the local service account should have all permissions on that individual server. So if you send a file from one machine to another machine, each machine has permission for itself but not on the other machine.

In older versions of RS there were special cases where a Domain Admin account was necessary. In 6.4 and later this is almost never necessary.

The RS Server Service is the one that writes the file so unless someone has limited the permissions of the local system account it should work fine.

One more thing, the GUI relies on access to the Domain Controller to log into the GUI (not the server) and if you are connecting between two different domains, for example, you may need to fill out the Site Properties and provide the login name and password. If you installed into the AD then RS should be able to connect to any other RS server in the same domain without providing credentials. If you did not install into the AD then you may need to provide login credentials for each site you have RS running on.

1 Attachment

106 Posts

November 17th, 2010 14:00

One more question, are you using either the SQL or Exchange Module? If you are, I would recommend you open a case with EMC . If you are just replicating files you should be OK.

To clarify you comment, if the Domain Admin password was changed periodically then RS would be locked out and that might be why it would just stop running when that happened.

1 Attachment

43 Posts

November 17th, 2010 14:00

JS,

We are replicating just tiff images and folders.

No Events found!