Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2010 11:00

iSCSI Replication - File System Free Space

How much free space needs to be available in order to successfully replicate a 120GB iSCSI LUN? Is there a certain percentage of free space that should be allocated to each file system per GB?

I am just setting up replication, so forgive me for the mass amount of posts (coming soon).

106 Posts

dbreveard,

What are you using to replicate the iSCSI drive?  If I assume RepliStor, then I would thing something on the order of 10-20 GB or so.  This is dependent on many factors such as the speed of the link between the nodes, the latency of the link, the amount of and rate of change of the data to be replicated.

I guess I would need a bit more information to make a recommendation.  Thanks...JS

21 Posts

Ok. I am replicating iSCSI LUNs using Celerra Replicator. I am replicating from an NS-120 to an NX4. I am performing a one time replication of a 123GB LUN.I initially had allocated 175GB to the Filesystem holding that LUN. The LUN is housing a VMFS Datastore that has a VM with approx 47.5GB of data written to it. I am replicating from Boise, ID to Three Rivers, Mi over a 5Mbps (throttled) connection. During the first go at it, the replication job stopped because of insufficient free space on the source filesystem. I just increased to FS to 250GB. I am hoping that this will be enough for more than the just the one time replication. I am estimating that the average rate of data change is about 400MB/day.
No Events found!