Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2015 01:00

Centos Guest No Operating System Found

Hello Guys,

We are having some strange problem.

We have installed scaleio in vmware vsphere environment with the plugin. Deployment went well and we have added new volume and mapped the volume to hosts.

When we open a new centos guest vm in the cluster, installation went without problem. But after doing some io stress test we are loosing guest centos operating system. The vm suddenly looses all partitions.

This happens after we have cloned the vm. I am suspecting about this.

Any one having this kind of problem?

Thx

92 Posts

September 17th, 2015 07:00

Can you give more details about this? CentOS VM is deployed in a ScaleIO based datastore? Are you using ScaleIO volumes as RDMs to this VM?

3 Posts

September 17th, 2015 08:00

CentOS VM is deployed in a ScaleIO based datastore?

Yes the VM is deployed in ScaleIO based data store. I have created 2TB volume and mapped to all esxi hosts. Than I have created datastore from the mounted EMC Fiber Channel storage device as VMFS5.

Than I have created disk in that 2TB data store.

After you have mentioned about RDMs, I am started think about creating 24GB volume and map that volume as RDM to the VM. That way I can pass the VMFS layer and get better performance. (We are getting 35K IOPS on 12 SSD disks)

92 Posts

September 17th, 2015 09:00

RDM is usually (a little) better than VMFS for performance test. Don't expect a huge difference.

Some thing that might help the performance:

- Use Paravirtualized SCSI controller

- Use a multi-thread multi-queue performance test (IOMETER is by far the best one IMO)

- Adjust queue depth at the VM and use multiple VMs.

- Use multiple volumes.

- Make sure to DO NOT USE any RAID in the server physical controller

- If you are using SSD do not enable RAM READ Cache

Regards,

Rafa

No Events found!