Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2016 08:00

Non-expert Configure Phase 3 commands failed

Hello EMC² community,

I'm here because i stuck at installation wizard. Basically i have the following environment:

3 CentOS machines 15GB each to use as nodes:

1 CentOs machine running the gateway

After some steps it gives an error at Configuration Phase:

{

"mdmIPs": [

"192.168.1.109",

"192.168.1.110"

],

"mdmPassword": "4nyth1ng!PA$$",

"commandID": "parallel_sds 192.168.1.109<->52",

"untrustedCertificateThumbprint": null,

"commandState": "failed",

"startTime": "2016-06-07T13:54:17.738Z",

"message": "Command failed: Could not add SDS 192.168.1.109 to Protection Domain default due to: A timeout occurred",

"result": null,

"followingCommand": "None",

"sdsIps": [

"192.168.1.109"

],

"archived": false,

"allowedPhase": "configure",

"commandName": ".AddSdsCommand",

"commandParameters": []

}

Can someone help me with this?

306 Posts

June 7th, 2016 23:00

Hi,

Can you make sure .109 is pingable and reachable between all the hosts? If you use separate networks for data, make sure they all can also talk to each other.

Also, please check if there's a firewall enabled on your machines - if it is running, it might prevent certain traffic, so you might want to disable it and try again.

Thanks,

Pawel

June 8th, 2016 06:00

Thanks Pawel, i'll check it, but i'm in trouble right now. After a hard reset i lost all that configuration phase, but the scaleio is installed on the nodes. Is there anyway to return to that phase or add the sds manually?

306 Posts

June 10th, 2016 03:00

Hi,

Yes, you can finish the installation manually - please refer to ScaleIO Deployment guide, there is a section on manual deployment - depending on which stage of the installation you rebooted your boxes, it takes fewer or more manual steps.

Adding SDS is a simple commands, scli --add_sds with some extra parameters, like SDS IP addres(es), devices etc. - please refer to the documentation for the exact syntax.

Br,

Pawel

June 14th, 2016 04:00

A last thing Pawel,

I bought a poweredge R720 with 12 HDs 4TB each, it's possible to install scaleio only in this server and then in a near future add a new server if i need?

If the new server has "some" (a lot of) files in it, it will be lost?

Thanks again

306 Posts

June 14th, 2016 23:00

Hi,

In order to install ScaleIO you need 3 nodes, so it is not possible to install it on a single box.

You can try to install ESXi and deploy ScaleIO as Virtual Machines for the test, but please remember it is not recommended/supported configuration and you can do it only to get familiar with the environment and commands - the performance will be poor.

In general, you can add new SDS/SDC/MDM at any time - it depends on you which disks from the new server will be used. If you add the devices that already contain some information to the ScaleIO, this information will be lost, so you need to make sure the disks you are going to use are empty.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything else!

Pawel

June 15th, 2016 07:00

Pawel,

I'm going to reinstall the scaleio now using the new server, and do some tests... maybe i'll have success this time.

By the way, thanks for all informations and patience. Have a nice day

@EDIT

I finally installed scaleio, it's really cool =D

And now? How can i store data on it?

306 Posts

June 16th, 2016 09:00

It's great, I know ;-)

Now you need to create volumes on your storage pool (either with the CLI or GUI - ver 2.0 only) and present them to your SDCs - there is a few commands to do that, please have a look at ScaleIO User Guide, section "Creating and mapping voulmes" - it will guide you step by step.

Let me know if you're stuck!

Pawel

No Events found!