Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2016 08:00

Ubuntu14.04/Suse 11.3 mixed environment support?

I have a VMware install with the SVM's holding all other roles besides SDC.  These SVM's are Suse 11.3.  Now moving to a 5 node cluster I wanted to add an MDM as a standalone physical server outside of the VMware servers.  Suse 11.3 is no longer available for download so I downloaded Ubuntu 14.04. 

Is this mismatch of Linux distro's supported especially in the gateway?

I ask because it seems the Gateway won't run the 5 node install of the additional components because it is trying to use root and the password which is fine with Remote login as root on Suse but prohibited in Ubuntu.  I manually installed the LIA on the Ubuntu server as well to rule out the bad password error coming from LIA.

If this isn't going to work, is it going to work if I use Suse 12.0 mixxed with 11.3 for existing components.

It seems there is no clear requirements docs on mixed component environments.

68 Posts

August 31st, 2016 17:00

Hello carterbury1,

you can set the password for the root user in Ubuntu 14.04:

- login to ubuntu server using your current admin user

- type: "sudo su -"

- The system ask for the password of the current admin user

- Now you are root. Issue the command: "passwd root" in order to set the password for the root user

- Make sure the ssh server is installed otherwise issue the command: "apt-get install ssh"

- Edit the file: "/etc/ssh/sshd_config" with your preferred editor and change the line: "PermitRootLogin without-password" to "PermitRootLogin yes"

- Restart the ssh service issuing the command: "/etc/init.d/ssh restart"

- Now you can install the components using the ScaleIO installer on your Ubuntu 14.04

If you need the SDC role on the current Ubuntu 14.04 there is an issue because there is a kernel version mismatch with the compiled version of the scini module distributed with ScaleIO 2.0.0.1. The module is built for kernel version 4.4.0-15 that was removed in the current branch of ubuntu 14.04. In case you need to run the SDC role write again here, I will share with you the 4 original ubuntu kernel packages for Ubuntu 14.04. In that case you can install them using dpkg -i .

Davide

25 Posts

September 1st, 2016 10:00

Thanks David!

I actually figured out that to be the best solution as well while this post was waiting to be moderated as well as your response. 

I won't have the SDC role on this server but did notice those gotcha's in the Deployment guide as well as some commented out lines in the gateway for getting packages from EMC repository for the SDC's. 

I appreciate your time as it confirms my idea that I haven't tested beyond altering the /etc/ssh/sshd_config and testing logging in.  I will perform the upgrade test again after hours.

68 Posts

September 1st, 2016 12:00

Hi carterbury1,

I read you don't need SDC on Ubuntu 14.04 but I give you instructions to install the kernel version that is compatible with SDC kernel module (scini) distributed with ScaleIO version 2.0.0.1.

1) Download from here the Ubuntu 14.04 packages of kernel 4.4.0-15, they aren't available from ubuntu repository because Ubuntu removed them some time ago. You can find the needed package here:

https://www.epicdrive.it/public.php?service=files&t=22e29e2143c1f9b8bb31d7aeb55aadca

2) Copy the packages in a folder on your Ubuntu 14.04 and to install the run the command (on a single line):

dpkg -i linux-image-4.4.0-15-generic_4.4.0-15.31~14.04.1_amd64.deb linux-image-extra-4.4.0-15-generic_4.4.0-15.31~14.04.1_amd64.deb linux-headers-4.4.0-15_4.4.0-15.31~14.04.1_all.deb linux-headers-4.4.0-15-generic_4.4.0-15.31~14.04.1_amd64.deb

3) Lock the packages upgrade for these packages running the command (on a single line):

apt-mark hold linux-headers-4.4.0-15 linux-headers-4.4.0-15-generic linux-image-4.4.0-15-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-15-generic

In that way you prevent upgrade of these packages running apt-get update, apt-get upgrade

4) (Optional) Remove old kernel version so at boot the system has only a single kernel version to boot from and won't ask you what kernel you would like to use. The command I will send you is for Ubuntu 14.04.5 fully updated (kernel version 3.13.0-95). If you have another kernel version you need to correct the package names to be removed. That is the command (on a single line):

apt-get remove --purge linux-generic linux-image-generic linux-headers-generic linux-headers-3.13.0-95-generic linux-headers-3.13.0-95 linux-image-extra-3.13.0-95-generic linux-image-3.13.0-95-generic

Also if I don't need SDC on Linux I prefer to keep the kernel version aligned to the version that was used by ScaleIO developer because, going this way, I'm sure that the system is perfectly aligned with requirements. I'm sure that using the old 3.13.0-95 version or the latest Ubuntu released 4.4.0-34 SDC module can't be loaded and that SDS seems to work. Since we are sure that ScaleIO was compiled and certified with the kernel version 4.4.0-15 (on Ubuntu 14.04) I prefer to use this version also for "SDS only" installations.

Thanks,

Davide

September 2nd, 2016 12:00

Hi ,

I have a similar issue but other way round. I have Ubuntu 14.04 with kernel 4.4 . i have installed sdc with 2.0-5014.

root@compute-0-7:~# dpkg -l | grep emc

ii  emc-scaleio-sdc                      2.0-5014.0.Ubuntu.14.04                      amd64        scaleio sdc package

i get incompatible module with kernel error when i try to start scini service.

root@compute-0-7:~# service scini start

###############################################################################

Verifying scini.ko against current system kernel.

Module KRN: 3.13.0-88-generic

Current KRN: 4.4.0-34-generic

Current scini.ko seems to be incompatible with your kernel.

Will attempt to fetch from module repository.

driver_sync.sh START - Fri Sep  2 20:45:35 CEST 2016

Error (sftp): File /bin/emc/scaleio/scini_sync/scini_key must exist.

driver_sync.sh END - Fri Sep  2 20:45:36 CEST 2016

Error: Unable to fetch scini.ko. Will try to load the existing module...

insmod: ERROR: could not insert module /bin/emc/scaleio/scini.ko: Invalid module format

Error (1) loading module binary /bin/emc/scaleio/scini.ko

rmmod: ERROR: Module scini is not currently loaded

Error (1) unloading module binary /bin/emc/scaleio/scini.ko

which version of sdc do i need? can i just re-install sdc with correct version or i will have to re-install all software (sds, mdm etc)

regards

Himanshu

68 Posts

September 2nd, 2016 14:00

Hi Himanshu,

you kernel version is 4.4.0-34, the scini module is built for 4.4.0-15. You have to follow the procedure I sent in the previous post to install the matching kernel version. I think you don't have to reinstall SDC, probably is sufficient to install the right kernel packages and to boot the system with the kernel version 4.4.0-15.

If you want to remove the kernel version 4.4.0-34 after installing the 4.4.0-15 (optional operation) you have to correct the last command I provided: "apt-get remove --purge ..." matching kernel version 4.4.0-34.

I think that, if you installed the generic flavor of the kernel, the last command I provided in my procedure must be corrected this way:

apt-get remove --purge linux-headers-4.4.0-34 linux-headers-4.4.0-34-generic linux-image-extra-4.4.0-34-generic linux-image-4.4.0-34-generic

Maybe the command needs some tuning, I suggest to double check the relative to kernel version 4.4.0-34 installed on your system to fine tune the "apt-get remove --purge ..." command.

Davide

September 4th, 2016 03:00

Hi Davide,

Thanks for the detailed reply. However, changing the kernel version is not an option for me.

I did find the scini driver module for kernel 4.4.0-34 and SDC 2.0-5014 in the EMC ftp repo. Just replacing the scini.ko file and restart of service did the trick. No re-install or reboot required.

There is a driver_sync.sh utility which ships with EMC package which is supposed to get this utility from EMC's repository by ftp. There is a separate section for Ubuntu hosts in the deployment guide. The same document also has the credentials for the ftp site.

Best Regards

Himanshu

1 Message

February 27th, 2018 09:00

Hi Himanshu and David

Getting error on Ubuntu 16.04 while installing only SDc on this servre.

this server is only used as SDC.

scini.ko--> /bin/etc/scaleio/scini-sync/driver_cache/default/scini.ko

scini.service failed because the control  process  exit error  code. " systemctl status  scini.service" and "Journalctl -xe " for details.

please suggest

25 Posts

February 27th, 2018 14:00

malhansachin

Have you installed the right kernel version scini module?

By the error it sounds related to having the wrong version.

No Events found!