Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2012 08:00

Important! Recent code issue impacting ESRS

All --

We recently discovered an issue with ESRS code that is causing many unnecessary uninstalls/reinstalls of ESRS Gateway servers. This is due to a copy protection issue of the ESRS executable that was implemented by the vendor. Due to the interaction of Microsoft Updates and the copy protection code, the ESRS executable fails to start on reboot of the server, or stop and restart of the ESRS service. This results in alerts to EMC that the ESRS Gateway server has gone missing, which has generated unnecessary support cases. The issue has been escalated to Engineering and the vendor.

Please click on the following link to review documentation available via EMC Knowledgebase: emc300033 (EMC Secure Remote Support Gateway: Gateway service fails to start after stop and start or restart in Services.msc or after server reboot). This document outlines the process to fix this issue. Success rates are running very high, and this workaround/fix should save you a lot of time. In the event that emc300033 does not address the issue, please review emc293086 (Process to recover a failed ESRS 2 Gateway—Standalone or Clustered High Availability)

Thanks,

Ben

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

no, i am already logged-in to PowerLink. No big deal as i can find those solutions using the search.

So is this something new ? I upgraded to 2.16 a month ago and have not seen any issues (Win2k8 R2)

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

are you linking to intranet website, can't get to the links you provided.

69 Posts

Assuming you aren't prompted for any login credentials?

25 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 10:00

No it is not new just something we discovered while working an issue at a customer site. We have seen this before and attributed it to MS Updates and other security applications that use an RSALockBox or corruption of the certificate for what ever reason. we found this because we had a fresh instal that was working properly and when we added the P0olciy Manager to the Gateway we need to restart the service ( this is done programaticly ( locally ) as the confifuration file is only read at startup of the service. In this case the Gateway service did not restart. I may occur at some future time - hence the solution

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2012 11:00

in my shop Gateway and Policy manager run on separate machines.

25 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 11:00

This issue is only with the Gateway code and is not a constant problem  - There is no impact on the Policy Manager

69 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 12:00

I just updated the links in my original post, they are now running through the EMC Knowledgebase and should be accessible.

196 Posts

December 19th, 2012 11:00

I am unable to access the link.

We upgraded from esx 4.1 to 5.1 and now have this symptom.

25 Posts

December 19th, 2012 13:00

The upgrade of the undelying ESX changed the NIC driver which resulted in a change in the MAC address of the NIC card - this causes the RSA Lockbox to fail and will not permit the GW to connect to EMC as it cannot validate the Certificate as the MAC address and Hostname are the primay keys used by the lockbox. if you cannot change the mac address back to what it was this will require an unuinstall and reinstall per primus

emc293086: Process to recover  a failed ESRS 2 Gateway ( Standalone or Clustered HA  ).

Pleas e open a service request and the support center will be happy to assist you

196 Posts

December 19th, 2012 20:00

The fix that support gave me was.   

It also includes your primus #

ETA emc300033: EMC Secure Remote Support Gateway: Gateway service fails to start after service stop, restart in Services.msc, or after server reboot

If these processes fail to correct the issue, for example, the Gateway or Device Client Service fails to start, proceed with the steps outlined in knowledgebase article emc293086: Process to recover a failed ESRS IP (version 2) Gateway (Standalone or Clustered HA).

August 08, 2012 | emc300033 | Product: Secure Remote Support Gateway 2.04.02, Secure Remote Support Gateway 2.04.00, Secure Remote Support Gateway 2.02.02, Secure Remote Support Gateway 2.02.00, Secure Remote Support Gateway 2.06...More | Approved       

Thanks

No Events found!