Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2009 01:00

EMC Smarts 7.2 WebConsole frequent dissconnection

Dear Experts,

I have EMC Smarts version 7.2. When using the webconsole it keeps disconnecting and coming back every few seconds.

I have set the disable-keepalives to 1 using "sm_gui -D com.smarts.disable_keepalives=1" but that did not help.

I would appreciate any support/hint for resolving this issue

Thank you in advance

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 26th, 2009 08:00

I had similar issue that customer connected remote SAM(windows 2003) via global console or webconsole,however local console was well.
Since MS had changed hotfix mentioned on SAM admin guide for new one(KB947369), which would be included into windows sp3. you might try to install it.

53 Posts

January 21st, 2009 15:00

Are you connecting through any firewalls?

There is a known issue where CISCO ASA concentrator/firewalls with packet inspection enabled will drop MSS packets and clear the URG bit on packets. This will in turn cause exactly the behavior you are experiencing.

This can be verified with a packet dump from each side of the connection.

Hope this helps.

15 Posts

January 24th, 2009 01:00

Hi TCorcoran,

Very helpful indeed and that is something I thought of. and Before inspecting this issue Maybe it is worth mentioning as well that by installing the client and connecting via the follwoing shortcut "C:\InCharge7\SAM\smarts\bin\sm_gui.exe -D com.smarts.disable_keepalives=1"
I dont get disconnected.

Is that relevant?

Thanks

53 Posts

January 25th, 2009 18:00

I just tested that startup command from a system that I know to be impacted by the issue I mentioned. It appears to be working without the disconnects.

I could not say conclusively that this means you have the same issue, but that is my guess at this time.

- TC

15 Posts

January 25th, 2009 21:00

Thanks a lot TCorcoran.

Regards,

15 Posts

January 25th, 2009 23:00

Thanks Berkay,

I would like to say that iFountain is a very interesting piece of work. I have read and seen some demos and soon i will give it a try.

Thanks again for your comment.

Regards,

36 Posts

January 25th, 2009 23:00

This seems to happen even without the firewalls. It looks like it is related to the TCP stack implementation.
As far as I can understand (read guess work), when the keepalive's are active, the client sends periodic keep alives using a TCP feature that is not uniformly stable at each OS. The server is using the keepalives to determine the client is still active and if it does not get them, it cuts off the connection. So if for whatever reason client cannot send keepalives, the connection keeps getting reset. When you disable keepalives, the server no longer expects them so does not reset the connection.

It looks like EMC support is also suggesting this solution in some cases, you may want to check with them.

Hope this helps,
Berkay Mollamustafaoglu
http://www.ifountain.com
Voip: + 1 703 349 0538
mberkay on yahoo, google and skype

53 Posts

January 26th, 2009 01:00

After doing extensive packet analysis with this problem, it seems simply to be weather or not the URG bit has remained set in transit.

I am sure there are many ways this can happen, as Berkau says the protocol stack implementation can definately be a culprit.

Either way, if you are okay with deploying a custom shortcut to all console users then that is the easiest way to go.

- TC

15 Posts

January 26th, 2009 09:00

Thank you TCorcoran, for actually spending time analyzing this issue.

My problem is I cant install the client software for all the agents so they need to use the webconsole

Sincerely,

15 Posts

January 26th, 2009 09:00

Hi AaronWang,

Another helpful response. Thank you very much, You guys have been great help

I really appreciate it.

I will certainly post any results that i come up with in here

Regards,

15 Posts

January 28th, 2009 00:00

AaronWang,

Thank you for the valuable comment. That Update did the trick!! :)

I dont see disconnection anymore on the webconsole from my windows client machine.

Before the update I had a lot of disconnections and A LOT of "bad checksum" and now I can see normal TCP [PSH, ACK] and [ACK]

Thanks again

Sincerely,

138 Posts

February 4th, 2009 22:00

Hello All.

I've got this problem with WEb console, but solve this with add next parameter to file "webconsole.properties "
com.smarts.disable_keepalives=1

and restart tomcat .

15 Posts

February 5th, 2009 02:00

Hi Hemul,

Yes, that is correct and that was the first thing I have done to avoid the disconnection.

It seems to me that you have a perfect environment where you connect to the SMARTS server without a firewall intercepting your packets and/or you have an up to date windows client if windows at all, right?

Sincerely,

138 Posts

February 5th, 2009 03:00

We are talking about Web console or Smarts global console ?
No Events found!