Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2010 11:00

Ionix UIM: Managing your Vblock Infrastructure with Service Catalog APIs: EMC World Developer Track 2010 - Boston 10-13 May

I'll be speaking at EMC world on the subject of Managing your Vblock Infrastructure with Service Catalog APIs using Ionix Unifiied Infrastructure Manager (UIM).  This will be demonstrating how to use the service catalog APIs to provision Vblocks.  I think this will interest most as it will be key to development of service portals based on the Vblock infrastructure.  Please comment on what you would like to take away from this type of lecture.  I'll keep posting comments with additional tidbits about these topics as we get closer to EMC World.

Session Type is Lecture / Demo

Level is Intermediate

Length 60 minutes

Abstract:

Learn how to use UIM service APIs to manage the Cisco UCS and other elements within a Vblock.  UIM is a model driven system that can be used to diagnose, report, and configure the systems within the Vblock.  Background will be provide on the RESTful APIs used to automate service activation using UIM Service Offerings.   See how UIM is being integrated with the UCS, Cisco MDS, and Nexus equipment and how this integration is used to quickly setup the infrastructure required to run a fully virtual server.

At the end of this session, you will be able to:

• Understand how UIM manages network, compute, and SAN resources in a Vblock.     
  • Create custom Service Offerings to setup Vblock infrastructure
  • Initiate an Infrastructure Service Activation using RESTful APIs.

14 Posts

March 4th, 2010 07:00

The API is going to cover the basics of provisoining the Vblock services using a "Service Catalog" concept.  Basically, a UIM user would create a set of catalog items as Infrastructure Service Profiles.  The API we will provide will be a RESTful API that allows you to read this catalog and activate or decommision the infrastructure services.

Here are some questions to think about:

1. What does a RESTful interface for a service catalog look like?
  2. How does one secure a RESTful interface that could potentially take down a server for mission critical operations?
  3. What are the operations for a "Service Catalog" on an infrastructure service and how would you invoke a behaviour against a RESTful service such as activate, deactivate, decommmision?

Here is a hint for #2  Look at CAS (Central Authentication Service).

14 Posts

March 10th, 2010 08:00

Here are a couple of slides from the presentation showing the use of CAS authentication with Apache mod_proxy and a sample restful call to get a Service Offering.

RESTfulCallingExample.png

UIMRESTfulSecurity.png

14 Posts

May 12th, 2010 11:00

Attached is the presentation I did at EMC World.  Enjoy.

1 Attachment

14 Posts

May 14th, 2010 08:00

Attached is the demo scripts I presented @ EMC world.  This is a set of PHP scripts you can drop into a PHP enabled web server.  There is a readme in the zip file.

1 Attachment

37 Posts

May 20th, 2010 13:00

Thanks for a great session, Fred and thanks for the session material attached above.

Others might also be interested in these other Ionix sessions / materials from World: ControlCenter v6.1 Hands-on Session

December 14th, 2010 06:00

Fred,

Where can I find UIM API reference documentation.  Thanks, Richard

14 Posts

December 14th, 2010 09:00

The latest and greatest can be found on Powerlink with the rest of the UIM product documentation.  There is also a training course in EMCU given by the engineer who did the API work.

No Events found!