Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2015 12:00

MPLS dynamic model instrumentation interface: SNMP-E-EINVALID

Hi,

I'm trying to monitor a mib-oid. For that I've created the following interface that I'm using as an instrumentation class:

interface TestInstrumentation : ICIM_Instrumentation {

instrument SNMP {

sysDescription = "1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1"

};

instrumented attribute string sysDescription;

event Test = sysDescription == "null";

export Test;

}

Instrumentation is created (with index '0'), no error in logs. Also sm_snmp get returns a valid value for the device. But instrumentation polling doesn't work (greyed out attribute) and get for this attribute gives me the following reason/error:

sudo dmctl * get TestInstrumentation::I-TestInstrumentation-PO-1010-RL-VL-VV/MZ-RC031::sysDescription

SNMP-E-EINVALID-Invalid argument

while the same scenario works without any issue in AMPM.

So, I'm wondering if I'm missing any additional requirement for MPLS.

I've tried changing the index value and oid format in the model file with no result.

Thanks for you help / suggestions.

8 Posts

April 24th, 2015 06:00

Hi experts, I'm still struggling with this one. Any help would be appreciable. Thanks. Paul O'Rourke

170 Posts

May 5th, 2015 03:00

Hi mboparai,

The sysDescription OID is already polled in Smarts IP. The attribute is called: Description.

If you look at the conf file for the topology sync between Smarts IP and Smarts MPLS (dxa-am.conf) you will see that this is one of the attributes sync'ed between Smarts IP and Smarts MPLS during topology sync:

Router class:

class  Router

hook mpls-t/dxa-class-hook.asl

attr    DiscoveredLastAt

attr    Description

Switch class:

class  Switch

hook mpls-t/dxa-class-hook.asl

attr    DiscoveredLastAt

attr    Description

Therefore, you should already see this attribute in Smarts MPLS for routers and switches sync'ed from Smarts IP.

Is there a particular reason you are attempting to poll this OID directly from MPLS?

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Paul O'Rourke

8 Posts

May 5th, 2015 05:00

thanks Paul,

I used 'sysDescription' just for an example.

I am trying to poll some other OIDs, for some custom correlation. But when that failed, I tried polling 'sysDescription' from standard MIB to see if something was wrong with the enterprise MIB. That one didn't work either.

Looks like there are additional OID being polled in MPLS (in addition to synced ones). So we know it is possible but how, that's the question.

thanks.

170 Posts

May 6th, 2015 05:00

Hi Mboparai,

There are some differences between setting up new instrumentation for devices in Smarts IP and Smarts MPLS, mainly due to the fact that MPLS uses three domains (Analysis, Topology and Monitoring), and handles polling slightly differently.

My suggestion would be that if this works in Smarts IP, then simply sync the attribute during topology sync for use in Smarts MPLS.

However, if you require Smarts MPLS to do the actually polling, you may need a Professional Services engagement as this could get quiet complex and is beyond the scope of our support here.

Please let me know if you have an additional questions.

Kind Regards,

Paul O'Rourke

No Events found!