Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2014 08:00

SourceOne Offline Access registry settings roll out

Hi,

I would like to edit the Offline Access client (version 8.2) on a mixture of Win 7 and Win XP
(also a mix of Outlook 2007 and 2010) clients using the registry method for setting the primary and secondary servers.

I am a little confused as to what registry keys I need to modify / create - are they within HKLM or HKCU ?

The documentation seems to suggest that editing the TCPServerPortPrimary and TCPServerPortSecondary keys under HKLM will achieve what I need to do but I cannot locate these keys under HKLM. Do they need to be created and if so, where under HKLM do they need to be created?

Thanks very much in advance.

If you need any more info please do not hesitate to contact me.

272 Posts

They recommended method is to import the ADM file into Group Policy and use GPO to deploy the setting to the users.

This makes your life tremendously easier.

4 Posts

Thanks for the reply Gary,

Yes, I am currently using group policy to set the primary and secondary retrieval servers and also to set the Caching to "don't cache any items".

We have a mixture of laptop and Desktop users (mainly Desktops). Desktop users do not need caching whereas laptop users need caching turned on. With group policy, I cannot change this setting. I was going to use the registry method instead as this seems to be more of a once off setting change and allows me to change the setting thereafter.

Any suggestions as to how best to sort this issue?

272 Posts

May 19th, 2014 09:00

You can set multiple policies.

What I've typically do is to separate Laptop and Workstation into separate containers in AD and apply the polices to the containers instead of the domain overall.

In you case, Cached for the Laptop users and Non-Cached for the Workstations.

In a larger environment I also use GPO with the SourceOne servers to be sure the correct permissions are assigned to the service account.

GPO is a wonderful tool if you take the time to plan and use is appropriately.

On a machine that GPO is applied you can search for the appropriate registry setting under Polices to see what and where the settings actually are.

If you are going to do a one-off be sure GPO is applied to those or they will be changed back to the GPO Settings.

4 Posts

Unfortunately, our AD structure is setup in a particular way that cannot be changed due to other policies and business requirements. AD is broken down into different service areas of the company using OUs - at no stage is it broken down into laptops v desktops so this option is out.

I fully agree that AD is a powerful and very useful tool but our AD structure simply wouldn't support your suggestion.

If I turn off the cached setting in the GPO to "Not Configured" what is the default behaviour of SourceOne Offline Access - will it cache items or not cache any items ?

32 Posts

Hi

These values been defined for offline access server port to cache the

emails. TCPServerPortPrimary 8001 and

TCPServerPortSecondary 8002 are parameters to define port on which offline

access communicate to source one webserver.

Values required at time of installation

Regards,

Ajay Chanana

272 Posts

May 19th, 2014 10:00

You can also set these parameters at installation time via command line arguments

272 Posts

May 19th, 2014 10:00

Default is to cache all items

32 Posts

May 19th, 2014 11:00

Default settings for OA cache depends on your .ost cache . In outlook 2013

default outlook cache size is 12 month therefore your OA cache will be

configured for 12 months only.

However you can change above to all items.

Regards,

Ajay Chanana

4 Posts

May 20th, 2014 03:00

Hi Guys,

If Offline Access is set to "cache all items" and Outlook does not have "cached mode" turned on what will happen? Will users still have access to their archived emails ?

Thanks

32 Posts

May 21st, 2014 10:00

Hi,

Yes - User will still have access to Archived Emails.

Regards,

Ajay Chanana

No Events found!