Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 28th, 2017 12:00

100% Disk Usage - Failing HDD or Software

Does this sound like a failing HDD?

I have been having problems with 100% disk usage on my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series (7537) running Windows 10. When I boot up or wake up the laptop, disk usage is at 100% and the transfer values are completely disproportional to the percentage value (100% used for processes running at around 0.1 MB/s). After some time (up to 20 minutes sometimes), the disk usage seems to settle down to regular idle values. I have tried a number of fixes including a clean install of Windows 10, updating drivers, and disabling Prefetch and Windows Search.

From here, I began to suspect my HDD was bad. I downloaded a number of HDD checking tools including Seagate SeaTools, HDD Scan, and CrystalDiskInfo. My HDD passed all of those tests, but showed an unusually high number of freefall events. Lastly, I decided to run the diagnostics in my BIOS menu. The HDD failed and gave an error "2000-0142".

Which utility should I trust? Do I continue chasing problems in the OS and software, or should I invest in a new solid state drive (SSD)?

2 Posts

August 30th, 2017 12:00

I thought I would post an update in case anyone else comes across a similar situation.  Today, I decided to drop $150 on a Samsung 850 EVO SSD, and am I glad I did. I haven't reinstalled most of my programs yet, but my laptop is way faster.  Task manager  currently shows disk usage at 0%!

No Events found!