Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Q

January 2nd, 2005 17:00

137GB Drive size limit for external USB

Hi all - looking for a kind word to help me past my current dilema that has been baffling me for a whole week - I bought a Western Digital IDE 250 GB hard drive (just the hardware- not a retail version) and have it connected via a external enclosure (Bytecc ME 320U). This ext. drive is to be used for back-up purposes.

My problem is that I can't get the Dimension 8300 to recognize anything larger than 137 GB - I have tried all the issues i can. Can anyone suggest a fix??

So far I have tried:
1- Verify the Bytecc enclosure - they state the units are compatible for up to 300GB (although their documentation is vey sparse)
2. Tried WD Datalifeguard 11 to partion/format the drive - to no effect
3. Reviewed that the Winodws XP Home is 48 LBA enabled (the ATAPI system file is newer that what MS suggests is required so I assumed this was ok and I didn't revert to the file that they suggested would fix the OS side of the problem
4. BIOS - didn't get very far here - applied the Dell A07 BIOS flash, but with no effect. Tried to download a newer motherboard BIOS but can't determine who the manufacturer is for the motherboard (I tried the Intel 875P bios but that didn't execute) 

Any suggestions??

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 2nd, 2005 19:00

The host PC has nothing to do with support of a drive in an external enclosure - it's up to the controller inside the box.

January 3rd, 2005 17:00

Clarification please - when you say "...in the box" you mean the controller in the enclosure?
No Events found!