Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 5th, 2005 15:00

8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability

I am wanting to order a new inspiron 9200 and when I configure a unit it ask if I want a 8X DVD+/-RW Drive then sometimes it ask if I want 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability. Are these both the same, just written up differently. Also if you get a double-layer write capability do you have to use a double layer DVD or can you use either type and just burn on one side. I have tried calling Dell and keep getting conflicting info on this. Can anyone out there help. Thanks

770 Posts

January 5th, 2005 18:00

I can't answer all of your questions,  but I can answer one of them.

The Dual Layer (or double layer) technology is not writing to two sides of the same disc,  it is writing to two layers of the same disc.  A dual layer drive can read/write to single layer discs (I do this all of the time myself),  but to write to a dual layer disc,  you need special media (still about $7-10 per disc) and you actually write to both layers of the same side.

DVD's generall come in single or double sided as well as single and dual layered.  A double sided dual layer disc can hold about 18 GB of information,  but you have to flip the disc over to read the second half.  a Single sided Single layered disc holds about 5 GB,  and a single sided dual layered disc holds about 9 GB of information.  I am not aware of any DVD reader/writer who makes a device which can read both sides of a double sided disc, in order to access the second half of the information on a double sided disc,  you have to open the tray and flip the disc over.  Some DVD movies use the double sided capabilities to give you wide screen on one side,  and full screen on the other side of a single disc.

2 Posts

January 5th, 2005 19:00

JersWork
Thank you so much for the info you gave me. I couldn't even get this much out of a sales rep. My biggest concern was having to buy the more expensive media for everything I did. Thank you.

28 Posts

January 7th, 2005 16:00

Good information JersWork...on the single/double media and drive.  I noticed on the 9200 inventory, some of the optical drives are listed as "8X DVD" and others as "8X DVD with double layer capability"...I wonder if they are both the same specs.  I am more used to nomenclature showing combo drives, without the double layer capability,  as "CDRW/DVD Slim Combo" or 24x24x24 on the DELL inventory lists or order forms.  Ahhh...obselescence!

JT

770 Posts

January 9th, 2005 00:00

I wish I could help you there.  The last Dell I bought I got just over 2 years ago now,  and it didn't even have DVD writer capabilities.  I bought an external DVD +/- RW drive and used it on the firewire port.  Ever since then,  I have continued to use external drives.  Right now,  I have an external drive which can do 16x DVD+R and DVD-R,  as well as 4x DVD+R Dual Layer.
No Events found!