Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2009 08:00

Blu-Ray won't play on PowerDVD DX

I just got a studio XPS 8000 with a BH20N Blu-ray writer.  It came with PowerDVD DX.  When I insert a Blu-ray movie, PowerDVD gives an error message:  incorrect or unsupported format.

I went to the Cyberlink website and found out that PowerDVD DX only plays back DVDs not Blu-rays.  The Ultra version, however, plays Blu-ray.  I downloaded the 30 day trial of PowerDVD Ultra 9 from the website and now all my Blu-ray movies play fine.

I then called Dell support and asked them to send me a PowerDVD Ultra 8 or 9 disc.  They said all they have is the DX version and that is what they bundle with their Blu-ray drives.

Some people in the forums seem to be able play Blu-ray with the DX version.  Anybody else have the same problem?  Any solutions?

Thanks.

5 Posts

November 21st, 2009 11:00

Have same problem but this suggestion does not apply as I have Windows 7 and PowerDVD DX 8.3.5714

Did the latest patch direct from PowerDVD DX Online Update and still does not recognise the Blue Ray Disk.

Have PLDS DVDRWBD DH-6E2S with latest firmware updated.

5 Posts

November 21st, 2009 18:00

Yes, I didn't mention in my first post that I have Windows 7 Premium that I've just upgraded to Professional, so I can't use that patch either.   I think Dell should provide us with proper software to play Blu-Ray movies if we shell out the extra money for Blu-ray hardware.

5 Posts

November 25th, 2009 23:00

I finally got the Blu-Ray movies to play on the PowerDVD DX version (not Ultra).

Don't use the DX online update.  The Dell DX version has been modified to support Blu-ray.

I asked Dell to mail me the install disk for PowerDVD DX 8.3 for Windows 7 (wasn't included with my computer).  I first uninstalled my Ultra 9 trial version and installed the DX 8.3 but it would not play Blu-rays.  I re-installed Ultra 9 and found that DX 8.3 was still on my computer and it surprisingly would play Blu-rays now!

Because my Ultra 9 was going to expire in 23 days, I then decided to manually delete the Ultra 9 folder  (C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD9) and found two files were still in use:

CLRCEngine3.dll    and    PDVD9Serv.exe

I copied these to the DX 8.3 folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX) and then deleted the Ultra 9 folder.  The DX version still plays all my Blu-ray movies without problems and I don't have to worry about the trial software expiring!

November 26th, 2009 11:00

Im glad that worked for you dcmark. Unfortunately, I just tried what you said, and it did not work for me. PowerDVD DX still gives me the same message that the media is not supported. My PowerDVD DX came installed on my computer, that is the only difference. I am supposed to receive the PowerDVD 8.1 blu-ray playback version of PowerDVD  tomorrow. I hope they sent me the correct version of PowerDVD since I noticed a charge of $12.00 under my orders for that software. Im curious to know if they also placed that charge when they sent you the PowerDVD installation CD.

Thanks

5 Posts

November 26th, 2009 23:00

No, I don't think Dell charged me (or I haven't received an invoice).  I just told them that they forgot to include the install disks with my computer.  They sent me the Power DVD disc with a UPS return mail sticker and instructions that I would be charged if I didn't return it after 10 days.

The disc they sent me specifically said Power DVD DX 8.3 for Windows 7.  The version that was installed on my computer didn't have the Blu-ray icon on the bottom right corner of the main screen beside the Cyberlink icon, whereas the Dell disc version did (see the screen capture below of ver 8.3.5424):

2 Posts

December 25th, 2009 20:00

Hi, I got the same porblem with PowerDVD DX on my XPS16 running Win7.

Have you finally found the correct solution for this?

1 Message

January 10th, 2010 16:00

Am a new owner of DELL XPS 1640. I can't play blue rays. Power DVD dx always asks me to update critical component. When i run the update, a patch.exe file is downloaded. This exe file is an update utility and never runs sucessfully. And Power DVD doesn't play my blue rays until the update is sucessfull. Pleas help!!

5 Posts

January 11th, 2010 09:00

See my posts above.  Try downloading the trial version of Power DVD Ultra from the Cyberlink website.  If it works, then ask Dell for a PowerDVD CD and follow my directions above.  It worked for me.

190 Posts

January 11th, 2010 10:00

Here are the steps I took.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19284946/19628947.aspx#19628947

First I upgraded to the trial version of Power DVD 9

Then I upgraded the driver from the Dell site for the video card

Then I Downloaded the Realtek file the person above in the link says to.

It will work then but this is the biggie. You will get an error message that your graphics card is not compaitable. It will also change colors to windows basic. Disregard all this and go to control panel and connecthe computer to a projector (you are really hooking to the tv) at this point you should be able to play the blu-ray dvd and hear sound out of the tv. It took me a week to get a solution to this. Thank the guy from that link who posted the solution.

Actually you should be able to just play the blu-ray dvd but something is lacking in software or hardware. But at least this way you can watch a blu-ray on the tv.

1 Message

January 13th, 2010 17:00

I bought my computer in June and the Blu-Ray drive worked fine with PowerDVD 8.1. Sometime late in the year it stopped working. This may have been at the time I updated to Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. I'm not sure. Anyway I got all the messages described on this forum. PowerDVD loaded, but didn't load the Blu-Ray DVD. When I clicked the Upgrade button, it tried to upload Patch.exe from update.cyberlink.com. The program says: " Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE PATCH ERROR: The update cannot be installed on your computer."

After reading the many complaints on this problem on this forum, I wondered why a solution hadn't been posted by Dell on their web site. Nevertheless I contacted Dell using the email option and described the problem. A very polite person named Ashish responded to my complaint by email and told me that a solution would be shipped. I was skeptical, but today a package came by FedEx Priority Overnight with an installation disk for PowerDVD 8.2 (and three other installation disks I didn't ask for). I installed it, and now PowerDVD plays Blu-Ray movies.

I'm happy to have my system fixed, but this seems like a wasteful system. Why not just post the fix on the web site? Or better yet have CyberLink fix their patch program? Maybe there is a copyright issue. In any case, if you contact Dell through their support page it's very likely they will send you a fix.

My theory is that this problem happens when you update to Windows 7. Maybe PowerDVD 8.1 won't work with Windows 7, and their Patch.exe program through the update button won't work with Windows 7. It seems that the obvious answer would be for them to replace Patch.exe with a new program that updates to 8.2. I can't confirm that this is the problem. The piecemeal way this is being handled doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about Dell or CyberLink.

Bruce

5 Posts

February 20th, 2010 13:00

I just got off the phone with Dell Support and they had me download PowerDVD DX 8.3 Blu-Ray playback software from http://tinyurl.com/9a5jot , uninstalled old PowerDVD DX 8.3 software, installed the new one, first time run it downloaded update from update.cyberlink.com called Dell.v6107_2424_PDVD_DVD100108-02.exe , uninstall old again and install this new from cyberlink and now I can play Blue Ray movies - yey!

Minor problem everytime I start PowerDVD DX get error TODO: has stoped working, just click close the program and movied still play OK.

2 Posts

March 9th, 2010 02:00

Tablarlu is correct. Similar to all of you, my PowerDVD DX could not play Blu Ray DVD's, and after 5 months of calling numerous Dell technicians (I had purchased the extended/better warranty/helpline - which was totally useless) and making literally 20 cases (and subsequently, over 30 calls) - they were useless. Solutions ranging from reformating my laptop (yup, that was his first response) to system restores to downloading half a dozen outdated patched (including a PowerDVD 7 patch dated in early 2007).

I tried most solutions posted on these Dell forums, but no luck... until I tried out what Tablarlu did above. And it worked! No problems whatsoever!

Here is what I did:

1) Download that patch (it seemed dodgey at first, but I virus scanned it and it was fine)

2) This will bring it to Patch 8.1.-something. It wasn't 8.3 yet (my version prior to this download was PowerDVD DX 8.2.5202 or something). Download the next "critical update".

3) You now have Patch 8.3 that works!

Enjoy.

9 Posts

March 9th, 2010 13:00

Today I've downloaded the patch 8.3.1.6107; the Blu-Ray icon shows ok, but the BD disc, at least the one I've burnt myself, is not identified by PowerDVD DX on my ST1747, OS W7 Pro. Are your BD's that play commercial or self-made? (I burn mine with ImgBurn)

2 Posts

March 9th, 2010 17:00

Never6: The Blu Ray I watched was an original BD.

It must be noted that the PowerDVD DX software offered by Dell is different from the retail version on Cyberlink's website. Despite what some of Dell's uninformed technicians might tell you, downloading the patch from their retail version (via cyberlink.com) will not work as they are of different versions. Notice that Cyberlink does not offer PowerDVD DX, but rather Power DVD 7, 8 or 9.

I would also like to note that the PowerDVD 9 trial version (from Cyberlink.com) worked for me, however the 30 day trial prevented it from being a long term solution. Also if you uninstall and re-download the trial software, it won't reset the timer.

This is the 4th Dell PC/laptop that I purchased from Dell, and is the only time I was displeased (hence me being a recurring customer!). I mean, I was passed to the Printers Department (and Spare Parts Department) when making a complaint about this issue! It's unreal...

No Events found!