Monday, I moved a BD drive from its original Dell Studio 540s to my Precision T5400. It ran fine in the Studio. Same OS (Win 7 U 64bit). Other apps freeze if I insert a disc in it. My Precision is freezing occasionally, so I checked device manager and I see a Error Code 10 device cannot start.
I've tried rebooting, removing from Device Manager, disabling, enabling.
The hardware ID in device properties perhaps suggest the current firmware (C102?). I cannot find newer firmware. Entering my Studio Service Tag in driver download at Dell support, does not show this drive (shows seven others).
I recommend you to flash BIOS to the latest version by clicking on the link below:
While flashing BIOS do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop.
Please revert for further assistance,
You do not need a firmware update. What you need to do is run the upper and lower filter trick (link below).
Please post back and let me know if you need more help.
I attempted the upper/lower filter Fixit. It couldn't detect the problem drive. The drive doesn't have a drive letter, but does show in the device manager. The Fixit didn't take any actions because it couldn't detect the drive.
I updated the system BIOS for various reasons.
I'm going to try uninstalling the device from Device Manager. Rebooting now.
Still having trouble. It now shows up as CD-ROM device instead of HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD GBC-H20N...
I have a second DVDRW drive in there that works fine. Perhaps I'll disconnect it just to simplify things.
Any other ideas.
No progress. I shutdown, only plugged in my trouble drive. It still takes like 10 minutes to boot up. The BD light blinks intermittently during this time. After I can finally log in, I can see the full device name in a dialog that drivers are installing (another 5 minutes). I tried the high low filter FixIt app again, and again it couldn't detect the drive, as before. It still shows code 10 in the device manager.
What are the risks of deleting the INFCACHE.1 file?
Still no progress. I checked in the BIOS setup, and the full device name string is displayed (HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD GBC-H20N...) I disabled its SATA port, and reenabled to see if anything happened, but nothing did between reboots.
Now I'm trying to rename the INFCACHE.1 as suggested, however, I cannot do it. I've taken ownership, Full control permissions. The system won't allow me to rename the file. But just now, it does allow me to delete. Which I will now reboot and report the results.
Still no progress after deleting INFCACHE.1 and rebooting. There was no difference in the long bootup time, and long driver installing dialog, and ultimately failure to load driver. I verified INFCACHE.1 was in the recycle bin before I rebooted. It was modified 12/15. The replacement INFCACHE.1 shows last modified ~ten minutes ago. So I am confident it was deleted.