Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2008 17:00

CD Burner stops in middle of burn

Dell XPS 400 Windows XP, TSST Corp DVD-Rom TS-H352C Trying to burn pictures from computer to CD with Roxio Creator LE. 3/4 way through burn disc ejects with message "There was a problem writing to the disc. You can try again by clicking the Retry button. You will need another blank disc ready." I've tried 4 or 5 discs..same message. Tried burning in basic Windows "send to" option..same problem, starts burning then ejects. I looked for new drivers..no critical updates available. I can read CD's and the device shows up under "devices." Am computer savvy, but not into technical stuff. Thanks for any advice. Joy

15.3K Posts

January 19th, 2008 19:00

Hi Joy,

The drive you listed my friend is a DVD-ROM, read only device. If you have burning software that shipped with your Dell, then you should have a second drive that is some type of writer.
What is the name/model of this drive?

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do
and the eyesight to tell the difference.

CD/RW Link

19 Posts

January 19th, 2008 20:00

Thanks, Jeff You can tell I'm not too good at this. When I go to device manager>/DVD/CD-Rom Drives I have two listed (I have two drives a DVD and a CD, I can play and burn CD's on E and DVD's on D). One drive listed is the one I gave you, the other is HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N. I've been burning CD's for well over a year and this is the first time I've had trouble. Did I give you the information you need? Joy

15.3K Posts

January 19th, 2008 20:00

Hi Joy,

On the lower left of this page under Resources
Click the arrow beside Support Tools, then select the Drivers & Downloads link.
Enter information for your system, then look under Applications for updates for the Roxio/Sonic software and try those first.
If it does not help, Dell has a firmware update for your drive under the listing CD/DVD at the Drivers & Downloads link for your system.

Best Regards

the good fortune to run into the ones I do
and the eyesight to tell the difference.

CD/RW Link

19 Posts

January 19th, 2008 21:00

Hi Jeff, What would we do without people like you? Many thanks. It was the second solution of Dell's firmware update that worked. Peace, Joy

15.3K Posts

January 20th, 2008 12:00

Glad to hear the news Joy !

Best of luck with your system....

the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

No Events found!