Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 14th, 2015 18:00

CD/DVD on my D610 running Win 7 is not detecting a blank DVD

I have just purchased a Dell D610 with Win 7 and my Optical Drive is not detecting any Blank DVDs in Drive.  CDs are fine and I am able to burn a CD but no not detecting any DVDs, be they +R or -R.

The Drive is able to detect and play pre burned or store bought DVDs just fine.

I have been to the dell Driver Section and get the message that the OS is not supported.  I tried loading the driver for my Drive but no luck.

I have two D610s,one running XP and the Drive detects and Burns DVDs just fine.  I swapped out the drive from the Laptop with Win 7 and used it on the one with XP and it works fine as well.

Tried both drives on the one running Win 10 and again they fail to detect any blank DVDs I tried, including Maxwell and Memorex discs with no luck. 

Both drives are HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4244 ATA

Current Driver Version: 6.1.7601.17514  Dated: 2006-06-21

I also tried the Driver on the Dell download site but that did not work either.

I have read suggestions to delete the upper and/or lower limits but that info is not listed in the Registry section.  Could that be the issue perhaps?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 15th, 2015 03:00

Hi acamara,

That drive is a CD-RW/DVD-ROM. It can read and burn CDs but it can only read DVDs, not burn DVDs.

5 Posts

August 14th, 2015 21:00

Update:

I have a friend that has a D630.  I used his Cd/DCD drive and it is working fine on my D610 with Win 7.

His DVD dr is a NEC DVD_RW ND-6650A

Using the same Driver Version: 6.1.7601.17514 Dated 2006-06-21.

So now I am wondering what the chances are that both of the other DVDs require a different driver or not.

I have confirmed that the other 2 DVDs work well with XP using Roxio. to read and burn both Maxwell and Memorex Discs.

Any ideas are certainly welcomed

5 Posts

August 14th, 2015 22:00

My apologies ....... ended p the discs I burned on the XP Dell D610 were CDs.

I rechecked the info in Drive Manager and noticed that the Nec DVD had RW on ID where the HL-DT-ST did not even though the front plate showed RW... looked closer at the front plate and looks like the plate had been switched.

So it looks like the HD-DL-ST CDRW/DVD only reads DVDs but does not burn them so it could not read the Rewritable DVDs.

Does that make sense?

It would explain the discrepancies I was seeing.

I ordered 2 CD/DVD RWs from Ebay.......  to see if that solves the problem I was having.

5 Posts

August 15th, 2015 12:00

Hi OSPREY4

Thanks for getting back to me.

After further testing I realized that my Dives were DVD read only.

I did update my post after my initial post indicating that I had borrowed a friend's D630 and sed his CD/DVD drive and it identified itself as a DVD +/- Write and worked fine on my computer.

I did notice that the front plate on my CD/DVD had a RW on the front but the Drive itself was DVD-ROM.

So thank you for confirming my findings.

I have ordered two CD/DVD-RW drives for my Laptops.

Thanks again

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 16th, 2015 16:00

Happy to help. Good luck with the new drives.

No Events found!