Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2013 10:00

CD ROM not detected

My XPS 15 is 1.5 year old and recently I have strarted facing this problem. I have been trying to run some Cd's and they are not getting detected by the Laptop. And these are all new cds but still they are not getting detected. I tried running them in another laptops and they are running fine. Is there a problem with the auto run feature?

1.3K Posts

April 10th, 2013 11:00

Hi ratika89g,

Try deleting the corrupt entries from registry. Please follow the steps below.

Click Start, and then click All Programs.

Click Accessories, and then click Run.

Type regedit, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry sub key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, click Upper Filters.

Note you may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click Upper Filters only. If you do not see the Upper Filters registry entry, you still might have to remove the Lower Filters registry entry.

On the Edit menu, click Delete.

When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click yes.

In the right pane, click Lower Filters.

On the Edit menu, click Delete.

When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click yes.

Exit Registry Editor.

Restart the computer and check if the drive is able to read the media.

11 Posts

April 11th, 2013 02:00

I did as u suggested but the CDs are still not running. I think the problem is with the CDs that have autorun function. When I tried to run them, the CD ejects and it said 'Please insert CD into the drive'. Other Data Cds are running but my game(original) Cds and software Cds are not running.

1.3K Posts

April 11th, 2013 10:00

Hi ratika89g,

Please refer to the below link for Autorun issues.

http://bit.ly/ClBoH

11 Posts

April 13th, 2013 06:00

Still not working. I think I'll format my laptop.

BTW I am running Windows 7

11 Posts

April 14th, 2013 00:00

I can't even format my laptop since the installation CD is also not working. Should I take it to a service center??

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 14th, 2013 05:00

Hi ratika89g,

You have not yet confirmed the integrity of the drive hardware. So my suggestion is to boot to the F12 partition and perform the Dell diagnostics on your DVD drive. You must have a data CD or DVD in the drive to perform the READ TEST.

The diagnostics are not meant to fix the drive but to test it. If it fails the test or is unable to detect the disc in the drive during the test, then your drive is bad and needs to be replaced.

Let me know what happens.

11 Posts

April 15th, 2013 09:00

I did the diagnosis. There is no problem with the DVD drive. Can you please suggest something else?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 15th, 2013 17:00

If the diagnostics passed, then you should be able to boot the drive with your Windows disc or your Dell drivers and utilities disc. Boot the system and hit F12 for the advanced boot menu, then select the option to boot from the DVD drive.

No Events found!