Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2010 10:00

CD will only play part of first track on cd

Dimension E521

My CD consistently plays about 1 minute of the first track of any (store bought or burned) cd, then stops.

I get this error in WMP after the first minute: Windows Media Player cannot read the CD. The disc might be dirty or damaged. Turn on error correction, and then try again. Error correction does not make any difference.

In VLC Media Player, it plays for a minute then stops and will not play any other tracks.

I've searched forums online and see other people have this problem, but I cannot find a solution.

Please help.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 29th, 2010 15:00

Hi Cstraley3,

Let me suggest you test the drive using the Dell diagnostics. The instructions are in the CD/DVD FAQ (link below). Perform the READ test with a DATA disc in the drive. If the read test is able to see data both at the beginning and end of the drive, then we can start looking at software issues.

4 Posts

August 30th, 2010 09:00

Hi Osprey4,

Thanks for your help. It can see the data...so now what do I do?

cstraley3

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 30th, 2010 10:00

Was it working correctly up until recently? Have you added any new hardware or software? Do you have another CD drive you can try, even external?

EDIT: One more idea. Can you fast forward to the next track while the first one is playing?

4 Posts

August 30th, 2010 11:00

I can't remember the last time I used it except to play a DVD, which worked just fine. The only software I've added is an upgrade to McAfee.The DVD's worked fine after that installation. I've tried the CD's in my vehicle and they work fine.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 2nd, 2010 18:00

Can you advance to the second track manually?

I'm sure the CDs are fine.

4 Posts

September 2nd, 2010 19:00

Nothing happens when I click on subsequent tracks. In Windows Media Player, it quickly tries all the tracks, but they show red x's and nothing plays.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2010 05:00

I've done some looking around but can't find anything helpful.

No Events found!