Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2016 18:00

Can't Install Windows 10 Pro On XPS 8700 256GB mSATA SSD

I've been trying to install Windows 10 Pro on the Dell OEM SK Hynix mSATA 256GB SSD which is integrated on the motherboard as a standalone drive (I plan to add a couple of 2TB Seagate drives back in later in a RAID 1 array but for now will just be using the Hynix SSD as the sole boot drive).  The BIOS sees it just fine and I'm using a USB flash drive created with the Windows MCT with the latest version of Win 10 Pro to boot & install from.  Windows sees the (unpartitioned) drive and starts to install normally but no files are ever copied and eventually it just poops-out with the error message "Setup was unable to create a new system partition". I then cancel the install but when I go back (this is without rebooting) to do another install this time there is no drive present whatsoever.  After I reboot, Windows sees the SSD again with no problem and the 2 normal partitions which Windows usually creates during the install process, the main one containing Windows and the usual 500MB secondary one with the ancillary Windows files on it.  If I try to do another install (without deleting the partitions Windows created the 1st time) it times-out again with the same message and 0% of the files copied. If I delete the partitions and start fresh the same thing happens again.  I always thought that a SSD was treated (& recognized) just like a standard SATA hard drive, at least in standalone mode (recall that I do not have the other Seagate SATA drives connected to the system).  Any info about what's going wrong will be greatly appreciated...

No Responses!
No Events found!