Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2004 14:00

Changing RCA BRAND TV video mode to play DVD's

Hi All,

I hope I've chosen the right forum for this question...

I'm trying to play DVD's through my Inspiron laptop on my TV.  Everything is connected properly (S-video to RCA jacks to TV)

My question is (and I'm sorry to ask it here but I've been searching the web for days to no avail):

How the heck do you change a RCA brand television to a video mode that will display the DVD????  I don't see the option in the menu or on the TV itself.  My hope is that someone out there connecting their Dell has already conquered this step with this particular brand (RCA) tv and can share.

Thanks in advance...

Darcy 

2.5K Posts

January 14th, 2004 14:00

I_Love_the_Irish,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.
If the TV does support another video mode, you should be able to change the video mode from the "menu" button. The "menu" button is usually where you change the color, contrast, where you set your sleep timer, and so on. Some TV's do not support a separate video mode.
My 20" Sanyo would never display the video from my home DVD player.
I had the DVD player connected by composite RCA cables to the TV.
So...as an alternative I had to go to Radio Shack and purchase an "RF" adapter for 30$.
I connected my home DVD player to the RF adapter, and the RF adapter has coaxial connections to go to your TV. Everything worked fine after that, so that may be what you need to do.

January 14th, 2004 15:00

Hi again!

I just got a new tip that I wanted to share...(I'm going to try this when I get home from work today)...

To change a RCA Brand TV to receive the composite (RCA) input, change the TV's channel to zero (0).

I hope this works!  Good luck to everyone out there.....and please share if you have any other ideas!!

January 14th, 2004 15:00

Thanks Karell...you're probably right!  I wonder why they put both the RCA and the Coaxial inputs back there if you can't use them both?!?! 

Thanks again,

Darcy

2.5K Posts

January 14th, 2004 19:00

I_love_the_Irish,

I wonder why they put both the RCA and the Coaxial inputs back there if you can't use them both?!?!
I don't know, I wondered the same thing when I was trying to figure out why my home DVD player would not work with my tv.

To change a RCA Brand TV to receive the composite (RCA) input, change the TV's channel to zero (0).
If this works, I'm going to kick myself for buying that RF adapter.
Oh well, it doesn't matter now as I got a 32" flat screen TV for christmas which has S-video, RCA, and Component connections anyway.

January 14th, 2004 22:00

Guess what Karell...it works!!!  I know that it doesn't matter to you now...with that gorgeous new TV of yours   but I thought others might want to know!

So...for all you RCA BRAND (and maybe others too) TV owners out there in Dell Land who want to connect your laptop to your TV to view your DVD's using the composite (RCA) inputs, but already have Cable connected to your coaxial input, you'll need to:

1)  Connect your composite (RCA) cables to the TV and;

2)  Turn your TV to CHANNEL ZERO (0)

Voila...you should now see your computer screen on the TV screen.

Thanks Karell...and enjoy that BIG screen!

2.5K Posts

January 15th, 2004 18:00

I_Love_the_Irish,

That's great to hear.
I still have two 20" TV's I need to go try this on.
I think they are Sanyo, but I will post back with the results.
I think it's all a marketing ploy.
When I asked the same question I was told to go buy an RF adapter...

No Events found!