Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2013 11:00

Connecting a fourth SATA drive

I currently have three SATA drives, each connected using a DELL J836J SATA cable to the motherboard.

I would like to connect a fourth SATA drive.  However, I cannot find a location to connect a fourth DELL J836J SATA cable to the motherboard.

How do I connect a fourth drive?

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 1st, 2013 11:00

Hi haroldsr,

Generally most of the desktops have 4 SATA Drives as you mentioned. They are labelled as SATA 0 , SATA 1 , SATA 2, SATA 3 on the motherboard. Now assuming, that you have three SATA Drives connected to the computer there should still be one available for the fourth SATA drive. 

Now also depending upon the model and design of the motherboard / computer, another possibility could also be that there may only be three SATA ports on the motherboard. In such motherboards there is no option to connect a fourth SATA drive.

If you can provide me the model of the computer then I can check and revert you back with the details. Also if you are trying to connect a hard drive to the computer as the fourth device, then you can also consider purchasing an external hard drive and plug it via a usb port on the computer  to store data on it.

Please feel free to reply back with the inputs.

2 Posts

August 1st, 2013 12:00

Many thanks.

The system model is a Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000 00

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 1st, 2013 12:00

Hi haroldsr,

Thank you for your reply as well and you're welcome.

Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000 has 4 SATA connectors on its motherboard. So, you can connect four SATA Drives (Optical Drive / Hard Drive) to it. Below is the image which I have taken from the computer's manual.

If you would like to download the complete manual, then you can copy and paste the link given below in the browser

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_studio_xps_desktop/studio-xps-9000_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

To view this manual, make sure you have Adobe Reader installed on the computer as it is a pdf format file.

Hope this helps.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 29th, 2024 08:03

@Dell-Jyotpal F​ 

hi yes i cant find the fourth sata cable and it says on my monitor “Sata 1 installed

”sata 2 installed

”sata 3 installed”

”sata 4 not installed” what do i do?

No Events found!