Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

February 27th, 2008 23:00

Convert fat32 to ntfs.

Trying to use the convert.exe command in xp home sp2 and having problems. The harddrive is a 250mb W/D that is still fat32, and when I copied the older drive it created a healthy portion and an unallocated section.  I believe that this happened because of the ata 66 controller on the system at the time. When I do the convert c: / fs:ntfs askes for the current volume label of the drive C: and regardless of what I have entered it does not like. Comes back with "the incorrect volume label was entered for this drive". No other errors. I checked Device manager and it states the drive capacity 238472mb, unallocated space 107403mb, and volume on local disk (C) 131037mb. I have tried 238472, 131037, and even 250000 with no luck. Incorrect volume label repeats. The controller bios shows the hd as 232gb. What is wrong?

6.4K Posts

February 28th, 2008 13:00

I'm a bit confused over what you are using for the label of the drive.  If I go to the command prompt and type "vol", I get the label that has been put on my C drive.  Mine says there is no label.  If I were to need to convert it I would simply hit return without typing anything in the space.

15 Posts

February 28th, 2008 14:00

I have been following MS article 307881.  Command prompt> convert c: /fs:ntfs> message appears, "The type of file system is FAT32. Enter current volume label for drive C:.  At this point I used the various numbers stated and ended up with the error in my post.  Only have one drive on this system.

6.4K Posts

February 28th, 2008 15:00

Have you tried simply hitting the return key?  If the drive wasn't given a label, as I did not during the partitioning and formatting process, there is nothing to put there.  If that does not work, go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt ( looks like a little black square with a C in the middle of it ).  This will bring up a dialog box with a C:> prompt at the left.  Type "vol" without the quotes and read the result.  If you have a label it will be listed.  That is what you need to use when asked for the volume label.

15 Posts

February 28th, 2008 16:00

The c: prompt without quotes did the trick, I now know that Volume Label = LOCAL DISK. I kept looking for a number!Getting past that produced another work around.  Convert cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. One hard drive. Convert may run if this volume is dismounted first.  i.e. Per the MS I must quit all the programs that are using the files on the drive, and then type Y at the command prompt to convert.  In w98 I could do the alt-control-delete and find everything that was running and shut most things down, I have not done this in XPH2.  How, and how far does one go with this quit all.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

February 28th, 2008 16:00

Another option is to (temporarily) give the C-drive a simple volume label. Keep it lower case and no special characters. Something like "os" comes to mind. Then when you try the convert, use that volume label you just gave to the drive.

6.4K Posts

February 28th, 2008 17:00

The best I can do for you on this is to suggest you click Start and the question mark symbol, type "convert" in the search box.  I get two hits on this, one for issuing the command from the command prompt, and the second a general discussion on converting.  Windows XP evidently does not like performing this operation on the current drive.  The expectation is that you will specify convert on a restart of the computer so the program can run without worrying about open system files.  You may also wish to search the Microsoft site for additional information.

15 Posts

February 28th, 2008 22:00

The vol prompt at the command prompt gave me the volume label as LOCAL DISK, and all the time I was thinking it should be a numeric number. This enabled me to continue the convert.exe imput and then I followed the balance of the MS 307881 article and now have a drive in ntfs rather than fat32.  The next move will be to do the DISKPART.EXE to pull in the unallocated part of this drive. Everything take time, research, and reading.

Message Edited by gabbyg on 02-28-2008 06:22 PM
No Events found!