Highlighted
2 Bronze

Converting Raid 1 configuration to 1 normal hard drive with Windows XP Professional

Jump to solution

I have a Dell Precision 380 Workstation that was configured from the factory as Raid 1 with 2 Seagate 160GB harddrives.  The operating system is Windows XP professional.  I would like to eliminate the Raid 1 configuration and make the computer a 1 normal hard drive configuration.  Can anyone help me with a step by step procedure to accomplish this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Re: Converting Raid 1 configuration to 1 normal hard drive with Windows XP Professional

Jump to solution

Hi cbcenterplus,

RAID 1 means you have essentially two separate drives with identical information. So breaking the RAID is simple. Boot to the Intel RAID Option Rom Utility (ctrl + I ), change both drives to NON-Member disks then reboot.  The 2nd drive will be assigned new drive letter, and you can reformat it using disk management, and have additional space.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Re: Converting Raid 1 configuration to 1 normal hard drive with Windows XP Professional

Jump to solution

Hi cbcenterplus,

RAID 1 means you have essentially two separate drives with identical information. So breaking the RAID is simple. Boot to the Intel RAID Option Rom Utility (ctrl + I ), change both drives to NON-Member disks then reboot.  The 2nd drive will be assigned new drive letter, and you can reformat it using disk management, and have additional space.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi Osprey4,

After I change both drives to non member discs,  can I remove one of drives and only have one drive in the computer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Yes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Will it matter which drive I remove?  One of the drives has a blue ribbon going to SATA 0 on the mother board, and the other drive has a blue ribbon going to SATA 2 on the mother board.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Your system drive should be connected to port 0.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

After I remove the Raid 1 configuration and restore the system to a regular 1 hard drive configuration, I plan to remove the second hard drive from the computer--the one I plan to remove is the one attached to SATA 2 on the mother board.  Then I would like to replace the existing hard drive with a brand new one.  When I do this, the new hard drive will have no partitions and will not be formatted.  Then as I install my Dell reinstallation CD Windows XP Service pack 2 disc that I received with my computer, will the operating system as it is being installed partition and format the new hard drive?  Will I just have to watch the screen and make decisions as I am asked during the install?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Yes, you've pretty much got it. Let me refer you to Natakuc's clean install guide (link below) for help with the procedure.

I've installed XP a hundred times but still like to refer to the guide when I do it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you,

I plan to install the new hard drive over the weekend.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Just one more thing, I pressed F2 to get into the BIOS and went to "DRIVES" and then "SATA OPERATION".  There were 4 catagories at the top of the screen at the right.

Raid autodetect/AHCI    

Raid autodetect/ATA

Raid ON

Comination

Raid autodetect/AHCI was high lighted.  Should I change anything here?

0 Kudos