Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

April 12th, 2014 10:00

Corruption problems on HDD and thinking about getting SSD...Advice?

Hey guys, can I please get some advice here?

I have a year-old Vostro 3560 that's been displaying some file corruption issues, that require me to re-install some software and drivers. That happened some 3 times, and it's been getting worse.
I believe this is happening because of me carrying it around wherever I go, and I don't really travel by car, so...even being careful, I might bounce it around too much.

Anyways...I was thinking about changing my 1Tb Seagate HDD (ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB) and the LITEONIT LMT-32L3M mSATA 32GB and placing one SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE750BW 2.5" 750GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive.

So I have basically 4 questions:

1 - Could it really be the moving around that's causing the HDD corrupted files, and will the SSD resist it better?

2 - Do I have internal space to keep the HDD and the SSD? I would keep the HDD as storage, not really worried about CRC issues.

3 - Will the SSD work on my Vostro? I guess I should check directly with DELL...?

4 - I never had a notebook. I know my way around a ATX tower, but I am a little worried about opening it ,installing the SSD, and taking out the other two...

Thanks in advance!
- Leo

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 12th, 2014 16:00

While routine "carrying around" should not damage the drive, especially if the system is in an "off" state, should not damage the drive, but higher impacts could cause the insides to bounce around and damage the disk - dropping the laptop, for example.  The drive could simply be dying.  IF the damage is indeed caused by the system's mobility, an SSD would eliminate the majority of things that can happen to it, as it has no moving parts to bounce about.

The 3560 specs don't indicate support for mSATA, but the manual shows instructions for replacing it - you will pretty much be taking the entire computer apart to get to it, and working inside a laptop is not for amateurs.

My suggestion would be to skip the mSATA drive, unless you get one that is large enough to sustain a Windows installation (32GB is NOT nearly enough - 64GB "MIGHT" be enough, if you are careful with how your OS saves files).  Get a single SSD or SSHD and install it as your only drive.  The drive is replaceable via a handy compartment on the bottom of the laptop.

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_vostro_notebook/vostro-3560_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

11 Posts

April 13th, 2014 07:00

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, replacing the HDD drive looks quite simple, it's the fiddling with the mSATA that looks VERY complicated, might just leave it there. And as far as size goes, I'll just respect the 2.5" size.

As far as a dying HDD, I'll have to check it thouroughly, but standard checks and health analyzers show that my HDD is ok.

I guess now I just have to make sure that my Vostro will recognize the new SSD drive, and make sure it has no conflcts...

No Events found!