Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2015 04:00

Critical: Hardware failure

Hi guys,

had some problems with pc not starting up, no beeps and flashing lights. only orange light that comes on is if i press power button and on release not light and pc not starting.

so i disconnected everything and hold the power button for 30 sec and the it starts but not always i have some time to wait for hours and do the thing again.

so when i got the desktop started i did diagnostic online and got this error:

Inspiron 530s

[Admin NOTE: Service tag removed per TOU policy] | [Admin NOTE: Express service code removed per TOU policy]

Result: Critical errors found.

Critical errors must be addressed immediately. Other diagnostics may be affected by these errors. Please follow the steps below to resolve your diagnostic results. You should run the diagnostics again once the critical issues have been resolved.

Critical: Hardware failure

Replace Hard Drive

Your hard drive is not working correctly and should be replaced. This part is covered by your warranty. Please fill out the following form and we will ship your free replacement part to you.
Note: Warranty details can be viewed by entering your Service Tag on the Dell Support homepage or on the My Products and Services page.

should i replace the hard drive and how can i move all my stuff to new one?

warm regards B

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 19th, 2015 03:00

Any 3.5" SATA desktop drive will work fine.  You can either try making a complete system image (Macrium Reflect works well - and there's a free version -- or use something like Acronis True Image) or you'll need to contact Dell for the recovery media.   A complete drive image will preserve all your installed applications -- otherwise, you'll need to reinstall those once the recovery is done (you cannot back up installed applications as such).

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 19th, 2015 07:00

Super thx for your  pro advice :)

i also realized that i have a second hard drive on my pc and maybe i can install a new operating system on that one and transfer my stuff from the broken one.

I am not sure what you mean by "transfer".  If you install Windows 7 on your second hard drive, you will need to re-install all the programs that you use such as Microsoft Office, whatever.  Your data files such as Word documents and photos can be copied over.

Do you intend on keeping the Vista hard drive in addition to Windows 7? Then you will need to configure your PC for dual-boot.

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 18th, 2015 06:00

thx for super quick answer,

1. i forgot to say that was problem with dvd drive also so i need  to get a 16gb flash drive.

2. Back up to an external drive i will do but will it backup my outlook mail and all the software i have installed like, ms office. dreamwaver and so on?
3. i downloaded Dell backup and recovery utility but it did not work as i use Vista any ideas utility i should use and where to find it?

my warranty is over so i need to buy a new one, what hard disk is recommended  to a inspirion 530s?

warm regards B

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 18th, 2015 06:00

The two things to do NOW are:

1.  If you haven't, make a set of recovery media for your operating system -- open the Dell backup and recovery utility on the hard drive and have a 16G or larger flash drive or a set of DVD-R discs on hand.

2.  BACK UP your data to an external drive or flash drive.

If this is a warranty replacement, #1 isn't strictly required, as they'll likely ship you a pre-imaged replacement drive.  #2 WILL be required if you need your data restored once the drive is replaced.

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 19th, 2015 05:00

Super thx for your  pro advice :)

i also realized that i have a second hard drive on my pc and maybe i can install a new operating system on that one and transfer my stuff from the broken one.

i have vista on my now so i maybe should install windows 7 on the other hard drive.

what do you think, is it possible? and i anything i should think about?

1 Rookie

• 

60 Posts

November 19th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

i will keep vista for a while so i can work on it the mean time i have installed all my software and so on the second hard drive with windows 7

ok dual boot is that difficult?

No Events found!