Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

June 28th, 2008 23:00

DVD/CD drive (burner) doesn't see blank CD-R or CD-RW

Hello!

My system is a Dimension E510 with two DVD/CD drives one of which is a burner. Both drives work fine, they can read DVD's and CD's containing data or video and I can burn DVD's.

My problem is: I can't burn a CD or backup/transfer hard drive data to a CD.  Nothing happens when I insert a blank CD, followed by the message "please insert a writeable disc" or something equivalent depending on the software.

What I've done over the past few days to try and remedy the problem is:

1. deleted burning software.

2. installed new burning software (3 different programs).

3. run the diagnostic-it could NOT perform the read test with media in each drive or with no media.

4. installed the Nero Info Tool; it could NOT read the blank disc.

5. confirmed that the drives are in Device Manager.

6. uninstalled and reloaded the Secondary IDE controller. Did not mess with the Primary IDE.

7. downloaded drivers from Microsoft or Dell (forgot which site).

8. downloaded new firmware.

9. pray

I have not had any error messages and did not perform step 3 or step 4 clearing the NVRAM, just don't feel competent for the task. 

For what it's worth, during the diagnostics, I changed the Diskette Drive from UBS to Internal and changed the HDD Accoustic Mode from Bypass to Suggested. Also, the following appears at the start of the diagnostics:

Dell DMO51 Series

Bios version AO2

Drive  1 not found: Serial ATA, Sata-2

Floppy diskette seek failure                      (there is no floppy installed)

If this problem can't be resolved and I need to buy a new burner can you tell me how to determine if I need an IDE or SATA, I see both mentioned in either the diagnostics or device manager.

Thanks for reading this. I would be grateful for any suggestions. 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 29th, 2008 11:00

Hi, gumbypoky:

The diskette error is occuring because you turned the drive on in the BIOS. Either change it back to USB or turn it off. Same with the SATA-2 error.

Apart from poor quality media, I can think of no reason for this behavior. Can you tell me what brand discs you are using and whether these have worked before?

2 Posts

June 29th, 2008 18:00

Hello osprey4,

Thanks for the response.  Your suggestions corrected the USB and SATA-2 errors.

I've successfully burned data/video discs in the past.  Am currently using Memorex CD-R and CD-RW and Sony DVD-R and DVD-RW.

This morning I ran the diagnostics again.  The drive failed the read test with the following message.

Diagnostic Test

Failed read test

Error Code   0F00:021D

Msg:   Block 5335: Illegal request-possible use of incorrect media

I'm more than ready to buy a new burner, but fear the problem might not be solved since the current burner is functional except for reading blank discs.

Thanks for your help and any more thoughts you might have about this.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 29th, 2008 22:00

What disc did you have in the drive when you ran the test?

I'm not fond of Memorex. Do you have any other brand of CD-R?

No Events found!