Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2010 14:00

DVD drives missing

I have a Studio Laptop 1535.  I purchased about 1.5 years ago.  I have recently had problems with my DVD Drive.  TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-T633A ATA Device. It's not recognizing my DVD drive or writer.  I have tried the Dell Factory CD for Drivers and Ultities and it is unable to recognize it.  I have updated the firmware, deleted/reinstalled the driver, etc.  I am at my wits end.  Please help!

5 Posts

February 21st, 2010 16:00

Thanks for responding. I already deleted the upper and lower filters. 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 21st, 2010 16:00

Hi, lboesen:

This problem can normally be solved by the olde upper and lower filter trick. Follow the procedure here.

Let me know if that worked.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2010 04:00

When you said you tried the Dell resource disc, I wasn't sure what you were trying to do. If you were trying to use it to run the Dell diagnostics, that may not work. However, you should still be able to run the diagnostics from the hard drive. Hit F12 when booting up and choose the utility partition. Pick "custom test", which will allow you to test just the DVD drive. Run the READ test with the Dell resource CD in the drive.

Let me know if the test passes or if you get some sort of error.

5 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 15:00

I ran the tests.  Everything passed, but it wouldn't read the Drivers and Ultities Disk.  Which I am assuming is the Recourse Disk.  Is that correct?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2010 17:00

Yes, that's the correct disc. If the read test does not even read the disc, the drive has failed. If your laptop is still under warranty, contact Dell and they'll replace the drive.

Good luck!

5 Posts

February 24th, 2010 15:00

Even if it reads CD's and not DVD's, it still might need a new drive?  It isn't something to do with missing drivers,etc? 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 24th, 2010 16:00

Ok, in your first post you said, "It's not recognizing my DVD drive or writer." Now suddenly it is recognizing CD and DVD discs?

I'm officially confused.

5 Posts

February 24th, 2010 18:00

Sorry for the confusion.

I have a DVD RW and CD RW Drive (TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-T633A ATA Device).  I used to be able to write/burn cd's and dvd's. 

Currently it will only recognize itself as a cd/dvd player.  For some reason, my "Dell Drivers and Ulitites disk" or blank dvd's are not recognizable.  When I am in my  Windows DVD maker it will say "please insert disk", when there is a blank disk in there already.

When I click iTunes, I get a warning "the registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning cds and dvds are missing."

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 25th, 2010 05:00

Ok, for that iTunes error message, see this article. When you delete the filters, it might require this little trick to fix things for iTunes, which uses different filters that are not always reinstalled by Windows.

Second issue, your Dell drivers disc and blank DVDs are not recognized. I assume you have Vista. Let's first check if this is a problem with the drive, the program or the disc. Go to Osprey's Toolbox (link below) and grab DVD Identifier. Install it and run that program with a blank DVD in the drive. Let me know if the program is able to view the disc properties.

Finally, you said you have a "DVD RW and CD RW Drive". Do you have two drives or just one? If you have two drives, does neither of them read that Dell drivers disc?

No Events found!