Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2007 15:00

Dell 8300 Dimension Write to Drive

I have had my computer for several years and could never figure out how to write to a CD.  Recently, when I started getting more familiar with the use of the computer, I started reading and
asking questions around the internet.  I discovered that one drive is A (floppy), one is DVD-ROM Samsung SD-616E, and one is saying that it is SAMSUOG! SV 352.  From a lot of reading that I have been doing this sounds like a problem other people have had.  What can I do to fix it? Thank
you for any help.
Momm316

15.3K Posts

February 25th, 2007 15:00

Hi Momm,

I am sorry, the latter drives name/model does not match anything in Dell`s File Library. Could it possibly be the Samsung SM-352F?

If it is, Dell has a firmware update avialable for the drive, however lets hold off on that a bit.
Do you know what burning software you have installed, Roxio or Sonic maybe?
Also have you tried using Windows XP built-in burning program?
I have the steps for this located in Section 100, article 27 of the CD/RW link in my post. See if you can create a CD bye following those steps, post back any error message and such.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do
and the eyesight to tell the difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 02-25-2007 01:16 PM

6 Posts

February 25th, 2007 16:00

Jeff:

There's what it says in my "Device Manager"

-  (CD Icon)   DVD/CD drives

.... (CD Icon)  SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E
        .... (CD Icon)  SAMSUOG! CD-R/RW SW-353S!

The following information is in a little square.

This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I had read that other people where having trouble with this when I put the "Samsuog!" info in the Yahoo Search Engine.  Do you think maybe it was a virus.  What kind (Brands) of CD-R/RW and DVD drivers am I supposed to have?

Momm

15.3K Posts

February 25th, 2007 16:00

Hi Momm,

Unfortunately the way the Net is now, one can never really rule out a virus, however the Code 10 error, usually is a driver issue.
I ran a search on "Samsuog" so I see what you mean. Lets cover the drivers first and see if we get lucky.
Please click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 15, article 1; Section 20, article 3; Section 11, article 2.
Try the first one, if it does not help, move to the next.

Best Regards

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 02-25-2007 03:56 PM

6 Posts

February 25th, 2007 18:00

Jeff:

Well, I tried all three suggestions and none of them worked.  I still have the Yellow ! and no detected CD-R/RW -  But let me tell you what happened on the first step you gave me.  When I uninstalled the first SAMSUOG! CD-R/RW SW-363S, it went away, but when I rebooted, SAMSUOG! CD-R/RW SV352 was in its place; I uninstalled that and rebooted and SAMSUOG! CE-R/RW SW-353S was in its place; I uninstalled that and rebooted and SAMSUOG! CD-R/RW SV-352S was in its place; I uninstalled that and rebooted and SAMSUOG! CD-R/RW SW-353S was in its place; I uninstalled that and rebooted and SAMSUOG! CD-R/RW SV-352S was in its place, so I think I made a complete circle.

So, what do you think I should do next?  Thanks.

Momm

15.3K Posts

February 25th, 2007 19:00

Hi Momm,

If Device Manager were reporting both drives as different devices I would lean toward you CMOS battery needing changing out but it seems only this one drive.
Enter the BIOS/System Setup and under Drive Configuration, make sure secondary Drive 0 and Drive 1 are turned on.
Here is your User Manual:
8300 series
If this is correct, then I see two choices and being honest, not sure which one I would recomend first, testing the drive as the only device or the firmware update.
How game are you for working inside the PC?

If this was mine, I would go back to Device Manager, select the good drive and click Uninstall; then select the 352 and click Uninstall; shutdown.
Dell uses the Cable select jumper feature so testing the drives are pretty easy.
Use the link I gave you above, hit the "Back to Contents Page" link, then select Removing and Adding Parts. Disconnect the IDE cable from the back of both drives, then take the very "End" connection of the IDE cable and attach this to the 352 drive; leave the other drive off for now; turn the system back on. Post back the results....

Best Regards

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 02-25-2007 04:13 PM

6 Posts

February 25th, 2007 20:00

Hay Jeff:

Just an FYI while I'm working on the last project you gave me.  When I went into the Drive Configuration Option, that weird drive is listed as RAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S ! !

I have dial up, so I had to come back into my mail to get Removing and Adding Parts Instructions.  I'll check back when I finish the next part of my assignment. It may take me a while, because my 60-year old eyes are like they used to be.

Momm

6 Posts

March 2nd, 2007 22:00

Hello:

It's been a busy week and I haven't had time to look at the problem.  However after your last instructions, I did what you suggested and then shut down the computer and disconnected everything.  I opened up the computer and looked at all the stuff in there and chickened out and closed it back up and plugged it back in and here we are!  So what do you suggest next?

Thanks, Momm

6 Posts

March 3rd, 2007 01:00

Hello again.

I did discover that the software for burning that I have is Sonic Record Now
Momm

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2011 07:00

I know this is an old thread but my Dimension 8400 is detecting the CD drive as a RAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S  and sometimes a BAMSENG SW-2%2S.  I'd love to know how to fix it.

No Events found!