Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2016 13:00

Dell 8900XPS / Installing a 1tb SSD

I have been trying to install a WD 1tb SSD to replace the 2tb hybrid drive which come with it. I tried changing the bios to AHCI, but after cloning my existing drive and trying to boot, it tells me there is no boot device. Could someone tell me what the bios settings are to make a SSD drive work.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Bob

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 3rd, 2016 10:00

Are you using Macrium Reflect to image the HSSD. If not follow the instructions here (no need to disable SecureBoot):

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/backing-up-your-windows-installation-using-macrium-reflect/ 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2016 04:00

Before you clone the drive, you must turn secure boot OFF in system setup - once that's done, repeat the cloning and REMOVE the original drive from the system before you start up on the new SSD the first time.

Once it's running you can turn secure boot back on, and reconnect the original drive if you wish.

29 Posts

December 10th, 2016 15:00

I tried this software, (no luck) I don't think it will allow a 2tb hybrid drive to be imaged to a 1tb SSD.

Bob

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 11th, 2016 04:00

The current version of Reflect will - you MUST turn off secure boot before you clone the system, and you MUST leave the drive setting the same as it was before the image was made (you can't change from RAID to AHCI, or enable legacy mode if the system was cloned in UEFI mode, etc.).

29 Posts

December 11th, 2016 11:00

I printed the instructions that were put out there for me.

I created a new image, installed the new SSD, booted from the PE disk I had created, But here is the catch.... it kept telling me there was not enough space so after playing I found where I could resize the partitions. I made them a bit smaller to fit, restored the image and all worked out great.

Thank All for your input and direction, it was greatly appreciated.

Bob  

29 Posts

December 12th, 2016 06:00

Again, thank all of you fro your input, but now, does anyone know the correct drive-bay adapter for the 2.5" SSD to fit the existing drive-bay in the Dell 8900xps case. I see a bunch on line all with different issues and sizes, some vertical mounts and some horizontal mounting.

Thanks,

Bob

No Events found!