Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2004 16:00

Dell Firmware Update F311 Crashes Samsung SD-616T DVD ROM Drive. MTKFLASH to the Rescue.

I have a Dell 8300/Windows XP Home Edition (SP2) computer system (P4, Bios A05) equipped with a Samsung SD-616T 16X DVD ROM drive and a NEC CW-RW NR-9300A 105B CD drive.  I downloaded the F311 firmware update (DOS, A03, file BR66264.exe) for the Samsung drive from Dell Support and applied it exactly as specified.  Upon rebooting the computer, I was horrified to observe that my Samsung DVD drive “D” had crashed.  The tray would not open, the power light would not come on, and the drive was not recognized by either BIOS or Device Manager.  The NEC CD drive still worked, however. 

I tried several different methods to activate the drive: 

(1)  Returning BIOS A05 to the original factory settings.

(2)  Upgrading BIOS to version A07.

(3)  Clearing NVRAM (see later). 

(4)  Reseating the DVD and CD data and power cables (unplugging the cables, booting up, reconnecting the cables and rebooting).

All to no avail.  The DVD drive was still not recognized.  After I upgraded to BIOS A07, I got the following error messages:

SATA primary drive 0 not found (O.K. because a SATA drive was not present).

SATA secondary drive 0 not found (O.K. because a SATA drive was not present)

Primary drive 1 not found (O.K. because a slave primary device was not present)

Secondary drive 0 not found (Not O.K. because this is the DVD ROM)

Secondary drive 1 not found (O.K. because this is the CD ROM and its default setting is OFF as a slave to the DVD ROM)

Under BIOS, I changed the configuration settings on all these drives from AUTO to OFF except for secondary drive 0 which I left on AUTO.  All the error messages disappeared except for:

Secondary drive 0 not found (the DVD ROM)

I send three separate E-mails to Dell Technical Support requesting guidance and advice.  None of the responses were helpful.  Although I was quite explicit in detailing the problem, two different technicians recommended that I update the Samsung SD-616T drive with BR66264 (F311) – the exact same flash program that had caused the problem to begin with.  When I pointed out how ridiculous this was, I was informed that my DVD drive was out of warranty and that I should contact Dell Sales to purchase a replacement!    

I then checked out several CD/DVD user discussion forums and found at least 20 postings describing exactly the same problem.  Unfortunately, none reported a solution that was demonstrated to be effective.   I reviewed all the postings and did the following:       

1. Shut down the computer and disconnected the power cable.  
  2. Removed the computer cover and disconnected the IDE cables and the power cables from the DVD ROM and CD ROM drives.  
  3. Replaced the cover and booted up the computer to Windows XP. 
  4. Shut down the computer and started up in BIOS setup (pressed F2 when the Dell  logo showed prior to Windows XP power up).      
  5. Cleared NVRAM  (While in BIOS, depressed the Caps Lock, Scroll Lock, and Number Lock until three green lights appeared on the keyboard.  (Had to change from a remote mouse and remote keyboard to conventional hard wired units at the beginning of step 3 to do this.)  Pressed Alt “E” and waited for a beep.  Then changed secondary drive setting from AUTO to OFF then back to AUTO.  (This step is probably unnecessary but if no “changes” are made in BIOS then the “save changes” command does not appear.  Saved changes.   (Note:  Could find no jumpers on the 8300 board so could not follow the “clear NVRAM” procedure as described in Bulletin FA1023538 for Dell computers shipped after 1997).
  6. Booted up the computer to Windows XP then shut down again and disconnected the power. 
  7. Reattached the power cable and the IDE cable (at the “end” connection) to the DVD drive but left both cables to the CD drive unattached.   
  8. Rebooted the computer.
  9. Downloaded MTKFLASH 1.55 (mtkflash1.55.zip) from http://etna.rpc1.org/mt/index.html and unzipped the files to a freshly created “C” directory, C:\Firmware.     
  10. Downloaded the E 310 (DEL).zip file (RPC1 free) from http://etna.rpc1.org/mt/index.html and unzipped to the C:\Firmware directory.    
  11. Made a bootable floppy (“A”) disk.  (See:  http://dhc014.rpc1.org/howto.htm)
  12. Copied the files in C:\Firmware to an “A” subdirectory, A:\Firmware
  13. Shut down the computer and rebooted from the floppy.
  14. At the “A” DOS prompt, changed to the A:\Firmware directory and typed:  Mtkflash 3 w/b /m 310del.bin 

(Carefully read http://dhc014.rpc1.org/howto.htm for an explanation of the flash protocol.  It will vary depending on the location of the drive being flashed and the nature of the firmware update.  In this case, the “3” designation identifies the DVD drive as being the IDE secondary master (i.e., the drive to which the “end” of the IDE cable is connected).  310del.bin was the selected flash program because it was the original version on my DVD drive.   

The program ran flawlessly and ended with a “reboot computer” command. 

During the reboot the hitherto dead “D” drive sprang to life.  It was now recognized by BIOS and Device Manager.  Most important, the tray now opened and the drive read DVD’s.   

15.   Shut down the computer, disconnected the mainpower cable, and re-attached the IDE and power  cables to the CD drive. Rebooted.

The above procedures restored the Samsung SD-616T DVD drive to its original functional state.  Maybe all the foregoing steps are not absolutely necessary but at least these are the procedures that worked for me.  I post them here in the hope that it saves someone the countless hours of frustration I experienced attempting to correct the DVD crash caused by the F311 firmware update.  If this posting further obviates nonproductive correspondence with inept Dell technicians then that is an added bonus.  But a word of caution here.  Do this at your own risk.  What worked for me, may not work for you.     

In my opinion, Dell firmware update F311 is seriously flawed and I strongly recommend against its use as described.  I’ve not attempted the Samsung 311 update with the 1.55 mtkflash program.  I’m so overjoyed at getting the DVD drive back to its original state that I’m not going to risk it. 

Finally  bear in mind the frequent warning posted on this forum, namely that the use of nonauthorized firmware updates will invalidate Dell drive warranties.   

December 7th, 2004 22:00

Sorry, the URL for procedure 10 in my previous posting was in error.   It should have read: 

10.  Downloaded the E 310 (DEL).zip file (RPC1 free) from http://etna.rpc1.org/samsung and unzipped to the C:\Firmware directory.  

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 16th, 2005 16:00

Glad that worked out for you. David from Texas did a nice job posting a very clear explanation. Samsung drives always seem to do well with third party f/w. Too bad they're about the only brand that does.

18 Posts

April 16th, 2005 16:00

You the man! 

I had the same problem.

Here's how I fixed mine by using your instructions.

My DVD-ROM is top op. drive (SEC Master) and DVD+RW is the 2nd one down (SEC Slave),(floppy below it).

1.  Followed your steps 9 thru 12. (and shutdown PC).

2.  I opened up case and unplugged the DVD+RW just to be safe and close case back up and plugged in mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

3.  Followed your steps 13 and 14. (and turned of PC after successful completion).

4.  Opened up case and plugged DVD+RW back in, closed case, plug in all cables.

5.  Powered on PC and when it went into windows, it recognized the drive and installed the drivers and drive is now functional!    :)

The only other thing is, it still said "Primary drive 1 not found" when booting up.  To fix this I went into the BIOS and set Primary Drive 1 from AUTO to OFF.  (My hard drive is on Primary drive 0, nothing on Primary drive 1).

NOTE: for those who are wondering how to know which number to use (1-4) in mtkflash to denote which drive to flash, here is how I found mine (which was 3).  Look in your Dell manual where it shows your system board.  It shows where your (PRI IDE) and (SEC IDE) connectors are relating to Primary and Secondary in the above instructions.  Open your case and follow these connectors to their devices.  Your hard drive is probably plugged into the PRI IDE.  In my case, my top DVD-ROM drive was plugged into the end of the cable that went to the SEC IDE and the DVD+RW drive was plugged into the same cable part way down it.  This made my DVD-ROM drive (the one Dells 311 flash broke) as number 3, Secondary Master, the number to use in mtkflash to point to the drive to flash.  (So my DVD+RW would be Secondary Slave.)  Hope this helps.

Thanks for your post, David from Texas!

Message Edited by _Murf_ on 04-16-2005 12:04 PM

18 Posts

April 17th, 2005 00:00

The reason I was tryimg to update my fireware was to try to solve a problem.

When I press the eject button or eject in software for my samsung DVD-rom it will make the sound like it will open slightly and immediately shut, although I don't actually see it open.  Sometimes the light will just flash a few seconds and do nothing.  I keep trying and eventually it open after 4 or 5 tries and a minute or two.   Once I get the disk in it will work fine.

Anyone else ever have this problem with the Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616T?

Know any fix for it?

No Events found!