Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2014 16:00

Dell Inspiron 530s

I have a Dell Inspiron 530s. Sometimes the disc drive doesn't see anything in there. I have James Bond Nightfire and some other games that I occasionally play and sometimes when I click on the icon to play the game, it says to insert the right CD. The thing is is that the disc is in there. I have tried ejecting it and putting it back in to no avail. I have restarted the computer and it does nothing. Sometimes I am able for the game to start right up and other times it does this. I have no idea what the common denominator is. I have also tried installing new games and it won't even see the disc, so it won't load or anything. The past few weeks I have been able to play the game fine and it starts right up. Now it is doing it again.

I came across this thread but, I am not sure it is the same exact problem. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19279756.aspx

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2014 17:00

Hi arapahoepark,

Sounds different than the problem described in the other thread, but just for kicks try the upper and lower filter trick I've linked to below. This runs the Fix it utility from Microsoft. After it runs, it will tell you whether any problem was found and if it was fixed successfully.

July 14th, 2014 17:00

Ok. Been awhile but, I have done that. It apparently wasn't fixed by that. I tried another game disc from a different game.When I put it in nothing happened, no sound as you would usually get if it were loading it. It didn't recognize the disc. I went to my computer and clicked on the DVD/CD drive and it ejected it saying 'please insert disc.'

What does that mean? What can I do?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 15th, 2014 17:00

Please refer to my troubleshooting guide (link below) for the procedure for running the Dell diagnostics on the drive.

July 25th, 2014 14:00

It said that with the confidence test, read test and seek test and so it put an NA next to it. The Device quick test and self built in test passed though.

July 25th, 2014 14:00

Ok. I got to where I selected the CD/DVD drive after custom test. I had a game disc inserted ( thats what it said to do right?) and it game me a prompt: "The CD Rom you inserted doesn't contain any data tracks. You must insert a CD contain data tracks like a software CD." Or something like that.

What does that mean?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 26th, 2014 04:00

That drive definitely needs to be replaced, I'm afraid.

No Events found!