Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2008 20:00

Dell Inspiron Hard Drive failure

The  problem began at boot up: hal.dll missing or corrupt:  ran chkdsh /r  ( "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable errors") and tried Bootcfg /rebuild (Error: failed to successfully scan dsks...")

I ran the Dell DST: Test results "FAIL Error code 1000-0142" plus lots of beeping!

Msg UNit 4 Drive Self Test Failed Status Byte = 79

The subsequesnt test facility gave:

Error Code 0F00: 0244:Msg Block 139455 Unrecoverable data error...  Which went on with loads more Msg Blocks 6676147 etc 

So I guess the Hard Drive has had it.

My question really is how do I get Windows XP installed on a replacement hard drive:  I understand that Dell only ships a compressed(?) copy on the backup CDs that came with the laptop and the Symantic recovery option is on the duff hard drive.....

Many thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 19th, 2008 20:00

In the US:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

Outside the US, contact your local Dell office for the Windows disc.

3 Posts

July 20th, 2008 08:00

Thank you for the reply.  Just  a thought..I presume these sort of errors are indicative of an unrecoverable  hard drive failure..reformatting the hard drive is not an option is it?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 20th, 2008 09:00

It may work briefly - but it won't work for long.  The drive clearly needs to be replaced.

3 Posts

July 20th, 2008 17:00

Thanks again

I guess that just about wraps this one up!

Regards 

No Events found!