Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2013 15:00

Dell XPS l502x New hard drive issues!

Hi all,

I have tied trawling through around 50 pages looking for an answer t my problem but to no avail! so I hope someone can help. Basically my friends laptop which is an xps l502x started running very slow and upon having a look it required a new hard drive, I ordered a Seagate 750GB 2.5" SATA-II Momentus Hard Drive - 7200RPM 16MB Cache - ST9750420AS which I then installed. then I proceeded to run windows 7 ultimate 64bit editon which completed successfully. once setup finished and I was in windows I started to install the dell driver which id downloaded, upon one of them finishing it required a reboot. o it restarts goes to dell logo with the obvious 2 options then a little blinking line in top left for a couple of seconds then continues to reset again and again until I turn it off?? so no windows although it was running fine straight after install? I have tried changing the achi setting and installed fresh on both with the same result. at my wits end with it as im sure it must be something simple. Sorry its a bit long winded but wanted to say it how it is. Hope someone an HELP! Thanks Simon

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 16th, 2013 16:00

Hi Simon,

Please refer to the Windows installation guide I have a link to below. Not sure what's going wrong but if you follow that, you'll have no problems.

1.5K Posts

July 16th, 2013 16:00

Hi Simon,

It seems that the issue is due to the video driver malfunctioning. I would suggest you to try to boot the system in ‘Safe Mode’. Please follow the steps below:

• Restart or Power on the system.
  • Tap at dell logo until ‘Advanced Boot Options’ appear.
  • Choose ‘Safe Mode’ and hit ‘Enter’.

You may uninstall the video driver from ‘Device Manager’ once in ‘Safe Mode’. Please follow the steps below:

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen.
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’.
  • Click > sign next to ‘Display Adapters’.
  • Right click the entry listed under ‘Display Adapters’ and click ‘uninstall’.

Restart the system and check if it is able to boot in normal mode. Please paste the screen shot of ‘Device Manager’ with ‘Display Adapters’ Expended, if it boots.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist further.

6 Posts

July 18th, 2013 15:00

Hi Amough, the laptop isnt getting that far so although ive tried what you suggested it didn't work, also Osprey4 im not sure exactly what your asking me to try, till in desperate need of some help, thanks for replying so fast anyway!

1.5K Posts

July 18th, 2013 18:00

Hi Simon,

It seems the issue is with the operating system and it is needed to be reinstalled. You may refer to the link: http://dell.to/13nXHsM.

* Note: This step leads to complete data loss including pictures, music files, videos, documents and applications. Please disconnect any external peripherals as well.

To check the correct order of driver installation, please refer to the link: http://dell.to/12MoijL.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

6 Posts

July 21st, 2013 15:00

Hi where would I get this disk? also is the hard drive that ive bought as a replacement definitely ok for this laptop?  ive put the details of this in my first post.

6 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 13:00

Can anybody help me please?

6 Posts

July 22nd, 2013 14:00

hello?

1.5K Posts

July 22nd, 2013 15:00

Hi Simon,

The hard drive should work fine with the system.

If the system is not covered under warranty and you are residing in the US, you may contact Dell spares at 1-800-372-3355 for Dell OEM media.  

If the system is covered under warranty, you may provide me the Service Tag and the name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) so I may access your records and check for further course of action.

Please feel free to reply. I will be glad to assist further.

6 Posts

July 24th, 2013 14:00

Hi I am in uk, but could really do with the disks, im not covered by warranty anymore. thanks

1.5K Posts

July 24th, 2013 16:00

Hi Simon,

You may contact Dell Sales in UK at 0844 444 4699 to get the Dell OEM disks.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

No Events found!