Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

October 17th, 2006 20:00

Dim 2400/XP: "Windows does not recognise CD-R format"...

My CD-RW/DVD drive (Samsung SP0401N from Dell) can read but not write to our "CD-R" disks. I get the message in title while trying to write. What to try please? The 2400 is May 2005 vintage and this is the first time I've tried to write anything...

15.3K Posts

October 17th, 2006 20:00

Hi JQuast,

If you do not mind, please go to Device Manager, click the "+" next to DVD\CD-ROM drives and list the name/model for us. I cannot seem to find the drive you mentioned.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

8 Posts

October 17th, 2006 21:00

That's a sensationally quick reply! Thanks. The device is a "HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4481B".

jguast

15.3K Posts

October 17th, 2006 21:00

Hi JQuast,

Thank you, just wanted to verify the type of drive you have, it is a DVD(Readonly)CD-RW drive:

Here is your User Guide

You did not have any error messages in Device Manager did you, such as Code 19, 31, 39, 41, etc?

If you did not, then lets run a couple of standard steps to cover a possible corrupt driver. Windows will reinstall them automatically when you re-start the system.
Click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 15, article 1; Section 20, article 3.

Dell also has a firmware update available for this drive as well, you will find it here:

GCC-4481B
Best Regards

difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 10-17-2006 07:24 PM

Message Edited by Predator on 10-17-2006 07:26 PM

15.3K Posts

October 17th, 2006 22:00

Hi JQuast,

My bad, I left off the first " in the coding, the link should be working now.
The reinstall of the drivers were to make sure they were not corrupt, Windows does not always report them correctly. Since the issue seems related to only CD-R format, the firmware update may help and/or you might consider checking for a possible update to the burning software you are currently using.

Best Regards!

difference.

CD/RW Link

8 Posts

October 17th, 2006 22:00

Thanks Predator for your very express further reply:

1) The Manual (thanks) says "All CD-ROM (Yellow Book) and CD-R Mode 1, 2 (Orange Book)", which I take to mean all CD-R variants.

2) No error codes seen.

3) Please note the device is recognised by the computer and reads CDs with no problem. I get the "Windows does not recognise CD-R format" message only when trying to write - and then not always.

4) I'd like to take the driver upgrade. Your link though gives me a 404.

Thanks for your time.

jguast

8 Posts

October 17th, 2006 23:00

You fixed the Dell link too! OK, I downloaded the driver (it's got quite an old date though), rebooted the 2400 and tried again. Same message from Windows about CD-R format.

Do you think there's much chance a CD-RW would work, since the messagge from Windows is only about CD-R format? After that I suppose I'd better get a new drive!

Thanks again.

jguast

8 Posts

October 17th, 2006 23:00

Mr Predator, you mentioned my burning software. I got into this issue because I was trying to write a Windows XP OS Recovery Disk! This is done under a wrapper - the Dell OS Recovery Utility. I don't know what burning software it runs. Can the burning software it uses be updated do you know please? I'm groping here. Does one have default burning software?... Ugh! Help!

Thanks

8 Posts

October 18th, 2006 00:00

Thanks yet again:

1) The burning wizard with XP says it's from Roxio.

2) I have got the Enable CD Recording box checked.

Did you think CD-RWs might work?

I think it's coming to a new drive - annoying really since I've never actually written anything with the old one! I should have tried it out in warranty! Is there anything about the Dim 2400 that has a bearing on the choice of replacement drive please?

Best wishes

jguast

15.3K Posts

October 18th, 2006 00:00

Hi JQuast,

You should be able to use Windows XP built-in program to burn a music CD or data CD to a CD-R. You can also use a CD-RW disc and erase it but not format the disc as per say you would do with a Packet Writing program such as Sonic`s DLA or Nero`s InCD.
Same CD/Rw link, Section 100, article 27 for Microsoft`s software, make sure there is a check mark in the box for Enabling CD recording for the device.

Best Regards

the good fortune to run into the ones I do
and the eyesight to tell the difference.

CD/RW Link

15.3K Posts

October 18th, 2006 09:00

Hi JQuast,

The 2400 series will support any standard IDE drive on the market, so you have a wide choice. The Regulars here tend to like Plextor, (most expensive, $50-$75), Pioneer, NEC, Lite-on, BenQ to name a few. New Egg has the NEC and Lite-on for around $35.oo at the moment.

Best Regards

difference.

CD/RW Link

8 Posts

October 18th, 2006 10:00

Thanks again Predator. When do you sleep?

I tried disabling the secondary IDE as per your posting (CD/RW link) and on rebooting Sonic software took over from the Roxio stuff. Tried to work with the Sonic: it was more informative. After several tries it did see the disk label. Then, some seconds after hitting the big red burn button, I got "There was an error writing to the disk", and the advanced tab gave me

Sense: 03 ASC: 0C ASCQ: 00 (Command 00)
-------------------------------------------------------
Px.dll: 2.0.50.500
pxdrv.dll: 1.1.18.0
pxmas.dll: 2.0.50.500
PxWave.dll: 2.0.50.500
PXWMA.dll: 1.0.0.3

Repeated the above sequence a couple of times. Does this happen to reveal anything new?

Looks like a classic drive-or-medium question - just like with mag tapes generations ago! I'll get some different CD-Rs, and some CD-RWs, and if that doesn't work I'm online to get one of your recommended drives.

Best wishes
jguast

8 Posts

October 18th, 2006 21:00

Dear friends - especially Predator - I thought I'd better let you know in case anyone else is suffering:

I bought and borrowed various CD-Rs and couldn't get any to work: same clankings as before.

B U T I also bought some CD-RWs (Verbatim Data Life Plus) and they worked!!! So now I have a highly prized "Windows OS Backup CD".

Maybe I'll hang onto the drive for a bit longer.

Thanks - especially to Predator.

Over and out.

jguast
No Events found!