Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2013 05:00

Disc Drive not working

I am not a high user of my disc drive but I have used it frequently in the past to burn DVDs to my hard drive.

However, when I inserted a blank CD recently to burn music, the disc didn't load.

Now even the DVDs wont load.

When I look in Windows Explorer, the disc drive is clearly visible but no matter what disc I put in, nothing is loaded.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks

Annette

3 Posts

July 18th, 2013 06:00

Thanks Allan.

The first step suggested I ran a Diagnostic on my CD drive - which I did - and I got this message:

A diagnostic category to be used does not exist. This can happen when there are problems downloading the category file from the DSC cloud and the local version must be used.

I don't know what it means or how to fix it...can you help?

Thanks

Annette

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

July 18th, 2013 06:00

Hello Annette,

Please try the suggestions mentioned in the following articles and check if that helps:

Hope this helps!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 18th, 2013 17:00

Hi Annette,

Can you tell us the model of your Dell and operating system? My suggestion would be to run the diagnostics from the F12 utility partition. To test your CD/DVD drive from the utility partition:

1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.

2. Select Boot to utility partition or Diagnostics.

3. Select Test System.

4. Select Custom Test.

5. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your CD/DVD drive.

6. Insert a CD or DVD.

7. Click Run Tests.

8. Write down any error messages.

3 Posts

July 18th, 2013 17:00

Hi Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly.  Your suggestion about using the F12 utility partition is exactly what I did.

I managed to get as far as (4.) but the option to select my CD/DVD drive wasn't there!

What should I do?

Annette

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 19th, 2013 17:00

Annette,

Can you tell us the model of your Dell and operating system?

No Events found!