Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 7th, 2011 07:00

Error Code 1000-0146: Start "DST Short test": failed

Hi,

As of today, I'm unable to boot Windows 7. Right after the Windows flag logo, I get a BSOD with the error: unmountable_boot_volume. When I run diagnostics I get the error mentioned in the title. 

I've tried several things, including Windows 7 repair, diskpart, chkdsk and sfc scannow in the install cd cmd prompt and changing the BIOS settings. Unfortunately, neither of those things worked. 

To elaborate a bit on the things I've tried: I tried Windows repair from the install cd as well as the 'normal' one (one of the two options, which you get when something went wrong and you reinstall your system). In the first case the system only shows a hanging blue background and in the latter case I get a hanging black background.The diskpart command only shows the first three lines, i.e. it doesn't show DISKPART> which allows you to give further commands. The chkdsk does nothing and reports that the hard drive is write protected. The scf command reports that the repair is pending (presumably because the install disk is running) and asks you to restart your PC (which doesn't help). I also played around with a few boot settings, including the boot priorities.

I'm highly suspecting that the drive is failing and that I'll need to recover the data and replace the drive. However, I want to be 100% sure before I undertake such actions. I hope anyone can help me out.. thanks!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 7th, 2011 07:00

benodinot

Error 0146 indicates a failed/failing hard drive or bad drive sector.   Basically, this means your hard drive will need to be replaced.

Bev.

3 Posts

July 7th, 2011 08:00

Alright, do you think I'll be able to recover the data? I heard some people mention that if your HD shows up in the BIOS your data can be recovered.. To me it sounds somewhat illogical but I'm not sure.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 7th, 2011 09:00

benodinot

Even if the drive is recognized in the system setup, there's no way of knowing if the data can be recovered, all you can do, is try!

One of the easier methods saving the data from a failed system is to remove the hard drive and use a USB 2.0, SATA, adaptor similar to THIS and connect the hard drive to working computer and see if you can transfer the files and folders.

If this fails to work, then you would need the services of a Data Recovery Company, to recover the files and this can be very expensive.

Note: Only data files can be transfered, any applications, utlities and programs, need to be reinstalled from their CD's, or downloaded from the publisher's website.

Bev.

3 Posts

July 8th, 2011 11:00

Ok, I bought a case and restored the file system with checkdisk: It seems like I've successfully restored the data :D

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 8th, 2011 13:00

benodinot

Congratulations. :emotion-21:

Bev.

1 Message

November 11th, 2012 23:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 and I'm on my 2nd hard drive. (It now runs on a WD 160GB drive that I installed about 3 years ago.) I went to boot up yesterday and got the lovely black screen with flashing cursor, and when I ran the Dell diagnostic from the F2 menu, I also got the dreaded "DST Short Test: FAIL / Error: 1000-0146" code. I inserted a CD ROM that a friend gave me that contained a program called Windows MiniPE, and it contains a bunch of diagnostic tools. One of which is disk defrag program. WORKED LIKE A CHARM!! I am now up & running again! So, before you "throw out the baby with the bath water", or in this case the hard drive, do yourself a big favor and get a hold of this "MiniPE" program on CD-ROM! Perhaps you can find it online somewhere, download it, and then burn it to a disc? Worth its weight in gold!!!

January 10th, 2014 10:00

Hi BENODINOT, 

I understand that i am writting a question to very old post.

Actually i am also facing the same issue and I really need some official data from my laptop, so can you please help me with how were you able to restore the file system with chkdsk. 

Thanks in Advance, VM.

1 Message

February 9th, 2014 19:00

This also happened to me. I have a Dell Optiplex 380, with Western Digital and Seagate HD, the Western Digital drive is failing, and Dell diagnostics are reporting DST Short Test failed 2000-0146.

I have used HIRENS boot CD to boot up a mini windows Xp, to recover various files onto my working Seagate HD. 

By the, way, I have seen many Western Digital drives fail after only 2 years of operation. Something tells me that they are not very reliable.

July 9th, 2014 11:00

When you have a problem for your Dell Latitude D505 you need to run diagnostic first before install a OS...

Just press F12 then select Diagnose/Diagnostic..

Remember if the ERROR CODE: 1000-0146... HARD DISK PROBLEM...

Thank you...

July 9th, 2014 11:00

Hey.... im very thankful i read your message...  your right..... thank you

3 Posts

November 12th, 2015 16:00

So I just have to replace the hard drive??? To fix the issue?

3 Posts

November 12th, 2015 18:00

What if I don't have the installation cd anymore for the OS. And what I have is an installation cd from my other laptop higher OS than the current one. From Windows vista to Windows 7. Is it ok if I just use my windows 7 installation cd? So it can be Windows 7 on this Castro laptop?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 12th, 2015 18:00

So I just have to replace the hard drive??? To fix the issue?

Saiha7jim

What issue?

Normally after replacing a hard drive, you also need to reinstall the OS, applications and the drivers applicably to your computer

Bev.

3 Posts

November 12th, 2015 19:00

I mean Vostro 1000 laptop

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 12th, 2015 21:00

What if I don't have the installation cd anymore for the OS. And what I have is an installation cd from my other laptop higher OS than the current one. From Windows vista to Windows 7. Is it ok if I just use my windows 7 installation cd? So it can be Windows 7 on this Castro laptop?

Saiha7jim

I don't believe it is.

A Dell OEM reinstallation disk, must be the same version that was factory installed in the computer.

Bev.

No Events found!