Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2013 03:00

Error code 0141: Where is my hard disk?

Hi,

I have a DELL Vostro 230. The screen suddenly turned black. When I reboot it the first time the computer stops when Bios option appears. The following time I reboot, the computer run a hardware test and I got this error message:

CODE 0151 Error code 2000 - 0141. I discovered the computer does not detect the hard drive any more after checking this link:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=583411

I open and checked the connections, everything seems to be ok.I also checked in the Bios that the hard disk does not appear.

Is that a problem of the Hard disk? Why is not giving the error message 0146 or similar?

If the problem is not the hard disk, what is it?

Thank you in advanced.

August 15th, 2013 04:00

Thank you for your answer.

I swap the cables with the CD/DVD and the same happens. I did it in the same connector of the mother board and in another different after that(the one that was working with CD/DVD. So I suppose it is not the cables or the connector from the mother board.I got this in both cases:

No boot device available-

Strike F1 to retry boot or f5 to run onboard diagnostics.

I did the diagnostic and I got the same error code 2000-0141

So, still don't know.

750 Posts

Hi Salt Edinburgh,

Error code 2000-0141 indicates that the hard drive is not detected. Try reseating the power and data cables of the hard drive. If it still does not get detected, try swapping the data cable of the CD/DVD drive with the hard drive. Also, try using a different power cable to connect the hard drive.

Do let me know the results.

750 Posts

Hi Salt Edinburgh,

Did you check if the CD/DVD drive is getting detected? If it is detected, then the hard drive has encountered failure. Hard drive needs to be replaced. Refer the following link to check the computer’s warranty status: http://dell.to/10pMa86

If the computer has active warranty, please send me the service tag and registered owner’s name on the computer in a Private Message. To send me a Private Message, click my User name, and then click Start Conversation.

If the warranty on the computer has expired, you may contact our expired warranty services to purchase/replace the compatible parts. Please refer the following link that has contact details for our Expired Warranty Services: http://dell.to/14FoBtb

August 15th, 2013 05:00

The CD/DVD works, so I will test the hard drive in another computer before replace it. I found some information about this error linking the problem with windows and the register file:

www.prlog.org/10901643-dell-error-code-0141-fix-released-by-personalcomputerfixescom.html

dellpcerror2.wordpress.com/.../get-rid-of-the-dell-error-code-0141

blog.vtechsquad.com/.../how-to-fix-dell-error-code-0141

Have got any news about that?? is it true?

If the hard disk works in another computer I will try to save my data and format it.

August 15th, 2013 06:00

That's what I thought. If the computer does not detect the hard disk I don't understand how can affect the registry. I will check the hard disk during the weekend and I'll post here what happens.

Thank you again for your replay.

750 Posts

Hi Salt Edinburgh,

You're welcome. Do let me know the results.

750 Posts

Hi Salt Edinburgh,

As mentioned in the following article, error code: 2000-0141 indicates that the hard drive was not detected during the Enhanced Preboot System Assessment (ePSA): http://dell.to/XPN3IQ

Hard drive is not detected in the BIOS which you have checked. Based on these findings, it is a hard drive failure. If you want you may certainly check the hard drive on a different computer. The three links that you have shared talk about using a registry cleaner to address the issue but I do not see how that is possible since the hard drive is not detected.

1 Message

August 18th, 2013 21:00

I apologize for joining this conversation in the middle, but I had the exact event happen to me at about 11 am on Friday 15 August 2013.  I downloaded software to detect the key code for Microsoft Office software I loaded about a year ago.  The program is called:  Belarc Advisor and it worked great to get the key code, however, I stepped away from the computer to pack the car and when I came back the screen was blank and I received the same message about not being able to detect my hard drive.

I can take everything apart but there is no reason to believe that a cable just went bad.  I hope it was not a virus with the software program I downloaded.  Is there any other insight you can give to me?

Thank you.

John

750 Posts

August 19th, 2013 03:00

Hi John,

Welcome to Dell community!

It must be a coincidence that the issue occurred after you had downloaded the mentioned software but the issue is hardware related.

As I mentioned in one of my previous post, error code: 2000-0141 indicates that the hard drive is not detected.

You may confirm the same by checking for the hard drive in the system BIOS. To enter the BIOS, restart the computer and tap F2 key repeatedly at the Dell logo screen.

We can check the connectivity of the hard drive that can help us with the issue. Please confirm the system model so that I can provide a link for the user manual in order to reseat the power and data cables of the hard drive.

July 5th, 2016 18:00

Could this possibly be related to a recent upgrade to Windows 10?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 10th, 2016 11:00

It is very possible an OS upgrade could push a marginal hard drive over the edge into oblivion, yes.

No Events found!