Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2009 08:00

Fitting an extra HDD to my Studio 1737 laptop

I have a spare SATA HDD that I would like to fit in the spare (HDD2) bay of my laptop. It needs a special type of caddy/enclosure and a SATA connector, where do I get one please?

Thank you.

4.6K Posts

April 17th, 2009 06:00

Welcome to the forums Ed

Dell Replacement Spare Parts & Upgrades +/or Parts-People are where to look for them :emotion-5:

I've found the @ $10.99.

You'll need to try and track down the adapter yourself though.  Assuming it isn't included with the carrier of course?

[edit]  Ha!  Just noticed you're in the UK as well - so those links are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard :emotion-43:

But at least you can get the part number for the carrier off that page, and search for it on the UK equivalent site - 'Parts, Upgrades & Supplies' :emotion-5: [/edit]

9 Posts

April 17th, 2009 07:00

Thank you for replying.

I've established that the Dell Part Number is 341-7101, 'chatted' online to an adviser who told me it is not available online.

9 Posts

April 17th, 2009 08:00

A further update:

You’re not going to believe this but Dell India (UK parts) told me that the above Part Number is not valid in the UK. She went on to say that a different part number is used in every country, which I simply don’t believe!

How can it possibly be true?

April 18th, 2009 13:00

I wanted a bigger drive for my xps m1710 and found a 500Gb one on ebay. I just bought it and the item number is 350186555394 if you are interested. As an extra the seller is including fitting instructions. I am in the UK and the drive is in the US priced at $93

Hope this help you out.

All the best

Graham

April 18th, 2009 13:00

have a look at ebay item number 350186555394. I'm in the UK and have just bought one.

Hope this helps

All the best

Graham

9 Posts

April 19th, 2009 00:00

If you'd read my post properly you would have noticed I have a drive, it's the assembly I want!

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 10:00

Hi,

I am trying to do exactly the same as you and getting the same runaround. It seems that DELL UK are lagging in customer service or simply trying to prevent competition. I have had two phone calls and sent one e-mail - each time they assume that I want to buy a hard drive from them at a 400% mark-up from the street price. In each case I have given them the US part number which they then choose to ignore.

Come-on DELL, we are your present and possibly future customers - I have bought several systems from you in the past and always sang your praises to friends and colleagues.

2 Posts

July 11th, 2009 05:00

Ed,

I have just obtained the necessary parts from DELL UK. It took a bit of time and patience but they came through in the end. The trick is to send an e-mail to technical support and ask them to explain to sales - exactly what you want. Sales may assume that you know nothing at all about computers and that you will damage the computer and invalidate your warranty. You will need to convince them otherwise! The total cost of parts came to £10.06 including VAT and postage. Make sure they have included every item necessary - as they nearly forgot to include the interposer and did forget to include the M2.5x8 screws on my original order.

You will need the following items:-

1 x HDD2 steel caddy, 1 x HDD2 interposer, 4 x (M3x3) screws, 4 x (M2.5x8) screws

Make sure they specify a HDD2 interposer as it is different to the HDD1 interposer.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

P.S. It  would be wise to insulate the edge  of the steel caddy with a strip of insulating tape at the interposer end. The offset space is very tight and could cause a short.

9 Posts

July 11th, 2009 06:00

Dell (UK) quoted me £68, which I found insulting for a piece of metal and a few screws.

No Events found!