Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2009 06:00

Hard Drive Replacement for E510

All - I am new to this forum, but I am desperate for help because Dell Tech Support is HORRIBLE!!!  I won't get in to the nasty parts of my experience, I'll just stick to the facts.  I began having major trouble two weekends ago with my system.  The system became slow (like 20 mins to boot up).  At one point, when I got up, I noticed Norton AV program was off and could not be started.  I immediately thought virus.  I called them, they did a scan, then a PC tune-up.  To make a long story short, the tech on the other end noiticed a lot of disk error in the Event Log.  we ran a checkdisk, which showed it repaired the bad sectors.  His recommendation was to call Dell and order a new drive and pay for the help to install.  By the way, he is a former Dell employee.

Well, the new drive arrived yesterday, and the Dell Tech guided me through the installation of the HD.  I asked him how I could partition the drive and he told me that his service did not cover advice on that, only straight installs.  So we proceeded to install the OS from my Dell disk.  His shift was ending so he wanted to call me back today.  I asked him to hold because I wanted my system back up and running correctly.  Well, he left me.  Anyway, the O/S was installed and going (no Dell drivers yet) but I noticed my hard drive showed up as Drive H:  I have a bay with a drive in it that has 4 card reader slots.  These slots appear as C: , D: , E: , and F: under My Computer, then the DVD-RW drive shows as G:  My question is can I go back and re-intsall the new HD to make it drive C:?  If I re-install, should I disconnect the card reader device so that the only thing plugged in will the DVD-RW and the new HD?  The technician is supposed to call back this evening, but I don't trust anything from this guy.  Help please....

8 Posts

March 16th, 2009 09:00

1. if you read my post you'll see i said to turn the computer off ddd1ddd

2.  I have used it with much success working in a PC repair shop, though mainly on HP's (hardware manufacturer shouldn't matter in this case its a windows flaw)

3.  the hard drive partioning part isn't related to the card reader issue you could do it either way

but to answer you main question brian you have to use the power button to turn it off when the RED (not yellow) progress bar shows up, then connect your drive (or reader in this case) and reboot ot continue installation as if the computer just restarted on its own and windows will have no idea oyu just tricked it

8 Posts

March 16th, 2009 20:00

my appologies ddd1ddd, i didnt realize the other forum said to do it with the computer running

i agree caution is needed and while i dont recommend that route, technically speaking IF  done properly it is no different than connecting a usb device while the computer is running, as a usb port on the comptuer is actually just some wire extending the usb jumpers to the outside of the case (one nine pin usb jumper set will create two usb ports or one powered card reader)

No Events found!