Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2008 14:00

Hard drive spins up so fast and loud and never stops!

I have a Dell 9200C. I don't remember my hard drive spinning up this loudly at first. It makes it difficult to record music, which is what I use this computer for. It comes through the mic very loudly. I turn it on, and it is very quiet at first. I can hear the fan and the slight movement of the hard drive. Even before I log on, if I leave it on, and never log on, it will slowly start spinning up, to the point that it sounds like it's going to take off down the runway. It stays this way until I shut it down, at which point I can hear it spin down. I've tried updating my BIOS, and optimizing the hard drive, changing BIOs to quiet mode, but nothing seems to work, and I can't find a post that shows any solution to this problem. I put all my video and music on an external hard drive connected through a USB port.

Please help! Thank you!

5.8K Posts

July 31st, 2008 15:00

Just to make sure, you are talking about the HD and not a CD/DVD drive, correct?  Optical drives can be very noisy.

HDs should not be spinning up after they are already running (they should be running at constant RPM).  If the HD sound is changing dramatically, then it sounds like something is really wrong.   Optical drives do spin up/down frequently.

What you are describing sounds like a noisy optical drive.

Peter

July 31st, 2008 16:00

Hi and thank you for your input. So far, I believe it is the hard drive. The CD/DVD drive is not spinning. There is nothing in it. I even ejected it to make sure, and the noise continues. I've opened it up and cleaned the fan but the fan is in the rear of the unit, while the noise is closer to the front, where the hard drive is.

It would really be nice to work in a more quiet environment. This noise makes me anxious! Thank you!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 31st, 2008 19:00

lollipopluv

Try running Dell diagnostic's extended test on the system, not the express test.

How to use Dell's Diagnostic Utility

After the Dell Diagnostics loads and the Main Menu screen appears, click the button for the option you want.

Diagnostics can also, be run from the Drivers and Utilities Resource CD.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

July 31st, 2008 19:00

Thank you Bev. I will try that and let you know if it works.

August 1st, 2008 12:00

Hi Bev. I ran the diagnostics all night, and no changes. I noticed though, that when it checked my fan speed, I could hear it changing, so I'm assuming it's the fan now making all the noise. It seems when I first turn my computer on it is very quiet, and as time progresses, maybe within 5 minutes, it's up to jet streaming noise and all I'm doing is browsing the internet. No other programs running. Is there a way to lower the fan speed or adjust it somehow? Thank you.

August 1st, 2008 18:00

Hi Bev. I'm not sure if the diagnostic ran completely, correctly, so I'll try it again. I did open up the unit, and cleaned out everything. It really wasn't that dusty, but I cleared as much as I could notice. I'll try diagnostics again and let you know. Thank you!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 1st, 2008 18:00

lollipopluv

Did the Diagnostics show any errors?

The case/processor fan's speed cannot be adjusted.

Have you cleaned the dust from the fan, heatsink's cooling fins, air intakes and the inside of the case, recently?

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.
No Events found!