Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2006 23:00

Help! I forgot my Windows XP Password

I cannot access my Dimension 2400 desktop because I forgot the password to the login screen. That is, when I turn on my PC, the login window displays which asks the user for username and password. I forgot my password and I cannot log on.

I don't remember if I created a pasword for an Administrator. Since I am not on a network, it is very unlikley.

Please tell me how do I reset my Windows XP password. A step-by-step procedure will be helpful. I am a novice. So, I don't know what Safe Mode is.

FYI: I do not have access to the Start button because I cannot log on.

I look forward to a quick reply.

Distressfully,

- Mike

11.9K Posts

@mikerobbins wrote:
I cannot access my Dimension 2400 desktop because I forgot the password to the login screen. That is, when I turn on my PC, the login window displays which asks the user for username and password. I forgot my password and I cannot log on.

I don't remember if I created a pasword for an Administrator. Since I am not on a network, it is very unlikley.

Please tell me how do I reset my Windows XP password. A step-by-step procedure will be helpful. I am a novice. So, I don't know what Safe Mode is.

FYI: I do not have access to the Start button because I cannot log on.

I look forward to a quick reply.

Distressfully,

- Mike

To add to a recent post, simply click on it, pick Message Options, then Edit.

Reboot and hit F8 to enter SAFE MODE, then log in as Administrator.  Since you don't know how to enter Safe Mode, you didn't set an Admin password..., which has nothing to do with being on a network.

Message Edited by rickmktg on 05-03-200608:43 PM

11.9K Posts

Message Edited by rickmktg on 05-03-200608:43 PM

May 7th, 2006 16:00

Hello Rick,

Thanks for your the quick response to my plea for help in regard to the problem I encountered in logging in to my Dell Dimension desktop because I forgot my password.  Yes, I took your advice and it worked!

Thanks a bunch again. I highly appreciate your help.

- Mike Robbins

PS: I wish I had known about the Dell Community Forum. To those who participate in the Forum, please continue with the good work.

1 Message

October 19th, 2023 23:14

I forgot password to my old Dell Dimension 8250 with Windows XP professional. I would highly appreciate instructions of how to regain access to the PC.  my daughter's Msc Thesis decertation is on it and she urgently needs the file.

No Events found!